Join our zoo community
Jet

Old Taronga Zoo Photo February 1989 - Guanaco and Cable Car

Old Taronga Zoo Photo February 1989 - Guanaco and Cable Car
Jet, 15 Apr 2011
    • Jet
      Not a very good photo but maybe interesting to those who remember the old red wooden 'Friendship Farm' buildings and this must have been just after the cable car was built(?)
    • Jabiru96
      Yep, I remember the farmyard. It was where behind the current fennec fox, dhole and pygmy hippo exhibits are.
    • Hix
      No, it was where the elephant precinct is.
    • Jabiru96
      I have a picture with the farmyard in the background and me smiling with the fennec fox ear model (the one next to the current fennec fox exhibit) in the foreground?
    • Hix
      Your photo must have been taken at an angle, goat. Look at the photo - the cable car runs directly over the farm, like it does the elephant yard now.
    • Jabiru96
      Hmm, it seems straight on. I am looking directly at the camera and there is the farmyard behind me. Could it have been the edge of the farmyard?

When did this close down, I seem to remember it in early 2000's?
    • Hix
      Have a look on this map, the Aldabran Tortoises are still in the same place, and you can see the road running beside them round the back of the farm (what is now the elephant precinct).

http://www.zoochat.com/34/taronga-zoo-map-1990-a-152215/

The road behind the current location of the fennec ears has always had the Aldabrans, unless the ears were moved at some point, but as far as I'm aware they have always been beside the fennecs.

And yes, the farm was closed sometime in the first half of the 2000's in order to begin construction of the elephant precenct.
    • Jabiru96
      Thanks for that Hix. Interesting, the fennec fox ears could have been moved to their current location after the photo was taken, so that might explain why the farmyard is in my picture.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Taronga Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Jet
    Date:
    15 Apr 2011
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    408.9 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1248px
    Height:
    1024px
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    MX850 series

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).