Join our zoo community
devilfish

Olive/Abyssinian thrush?

11th October 2019, seen with @Funkygibbon whilst @Brum watched us from a distance :p

Olive/Abyssinian thrush?
    • Maguari
      Interesting! From a bit of checking, Olive Thrush (and as far as I can see, all the other similar species) should have a distinct dark patch on the bill around the nostril, which Abyssinian lacks, so the latter would be my bet - a quick Google image search suggests this is present even in juveniles, so should be noticeable on any fully-grown bird. :)
      devilfish likes this.
    • devilfish
      Yes I read that too, but I've since seen photos labelled as olive thrushes which lack the dark upper bill. They may, of course, be mislabelled though - particularly as the taxa have been grouped together in the past.
    • Brum
      I'm going to assume this was in the Australian bit? :p Is this what you thought was an American Robin? :eek:
      devilfish likes this.
    • devilfish
      @Brum Yeah it was sitting hidden under the table in the zebra finch aviary of the Australian walkthrough. We were about to walk away when it was pointed out to us, and we were told it was an American robin. :)
      Brum likes this.
    • Great Argus
      I'd go Abyssinian per HBW's notes, but sounds like separation is still debatable. I can see why it could be called an American Robin, but it certainly is not. :p
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    All Things Wild
    Uploaded By:
    devilfish
    Date:
    12 Oct 2019
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    2.1 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    5472px
    Height:
    3648px
    Aperture:
    f/5.6
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS 7D Mark II
    Date / Time:
    2019:10:10 11:39:56
    Exposure Time:
    1/60 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 500
    Focal Length:
    135 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).