Join our zoo community
snowleopard

Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo - Lion Exhibit

July 2008. Ghastly little cage that should have been demolished a couple of decades ago.

Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo - Lion Exhibit
snowleopard, 27 Aug 2008
    • snowleopard
      July 2008. Ghastly little cage that should have been demolished a couple of decades ago.
    • mstickmanp
      First of all, it should have never been built.
    • snowleopard
      These kind of exhibits are normal throughout China, Japan and many other countries. Hard to believe, but sadly quite true.
    • Animaldude
      what are the names of the lions?
    • Hix
      Is this an indoor enclosure for the Winter, or do the lions spend all year in this little box?
    • snowleopard
      The big cat complex at the Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha is the largest of its kind in North America, but it is also one of the worst of its kind due to the many subpar enclosures. I believe that these lions, and several other species, have access to outdoor enclosures, but the majority of cats were all inside when I visited and there are some that live out their lives in these crappy boxes. Great list of subspecies (including Malaysian, Amur and Bengal tigers - some are also white) but the area badly needs to be updated.
    • Jacobea
      It's completely unsuitable for lions, but this sort of enclosure's not bad for, say, an indoor holding for a smaller feline, or something like small birds or a type of marmoset. Definately not lions or other big cats tho :(
    • mweb08
      The lions at Omaha actually have an outdoor enclosure that other than having unattractive bars for a barrier(also have glass viewing), is actually a pretty decent size and very lush. This goes back to what I've been saying recently, why is Omaha being judged on its poor indoor part of its exhibit rather than or in addition to their outdoor exhibit while the indoor parts of some other exhibits are for the most part, if not totally ignored?
    • Hix
      Didn't Omaha pump out the white tigers during the 80's and early 90's? Were they bred in these little tanks?
    • snowleopard
      @mweb08: Omaha is rightly being judged on its indoor exhibits because when I was there in the summer of 2008 I saw countless big cats locked indoors with ZERO access to any outside grottoes. The sheer number of cats (over 40 now?) means that probably half of them are locked indoors for most of their lives. This complex is huge but badly outdated, and it will be interesting to see how many more decades the structure survives before being either demolished or extensively renovated. The outdoor yards are average at best, but the majority of cats were inside and unable to leave due to locked gates on my visit.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    snowleopard
    Date:
    27 Aug 2008
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    207.1 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/3.3
    Make:
    Panasonic
    Model:
    DMC-TZ5
    Date / Time:
    2008:07:29 16:02:11
    Exposure Time:
    10/400 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 400
    Focal Length:
    4.7 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).