Join our zoo community
LaughingDove

One of the old Primate Cages

9th April 2015 For a review of this zoo (including walkthrough of Afrkyarium) and others see here: http://www.zoochat.com/9/laughingdoves-trip-march-april-2015-poland-403988/

One of the old Primate Cages
LaughingDove, 16 May 2015
DelacoursLangur likes this.
    • LaughingDove
    • Macaw16
      I can't tell if thats a primate, are these still used?
    • LaughingDove
      Unfortunately, they are still used :(. This is a good example of one of the bad parts of the zoo which is a huge contrast with the newer developments such as the fantastic Afrykarium.
    • wibbs
      i believe these are the old carnivore cages not primates . they may have primates in now but were originally used for lions , tigers etc
    • LaughingDove
      Quite possible, I don't know. It is a row of cages at the back of the zoo that have a number of primate species in them now but I have no idea what they used to hold.
    • wibbs
      first time i put picture on here hope it works . is this the same row cages . this was taken in 2009 . Its the old carnivore cages i think it used for allsorts now . on my visit they had two group of lions one in the grass paddock by the african savannah and this group in pic of one male and one female .
    • wibbs
      I also believe the row of cages isused for temporary exhibits too . might explain why the lions were in there . Wroclaw is a good zoo its trying to modernise its self but as seen from various pics is caught with old buildings .in which i believe are listed . i know the pachyderm house is ,and i think the reptile building and the old bear castle/fort is too .
    • LaughingDove
      That is indeed part of the same row of cages.

There was just the one group of lions when I visited in the grass paddock by the savannah.

The reptile building is quite nice looking in my opinion and isn't so bad for the reptiles though a couple of the tanks are a bit on the small side. However, the pachyderm house and the bear castle (I assume you mean the place where there is a lone brown bear and some Asiatic black bears) are inappropriate for the animals they hold.
    • Macaw16
      What species were in here, then?
    • LaughingDove
      The cage pictured above held black-crested mangabeys (Lophocebus aterrimus) when I visited (attached picture is of one of the ones in there).

I neglected to note all of the species held here (though it is possible I photographed them all, I just can't be sure there isn't something else I missed), but most were duplicated in other parts of the zoo so I assume they were animals that weren't compatible with the main group.
      The other species in these cages that I photographed were collared mangabeys, black and white ruffed lemurs and rhesus macaques (see attached pictures).
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Zoo Wroclaw
    Uploaded By:
    LaughingDove
    Date:
    16 May 2015
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    560.3 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/2.8
    Make:
    FUJIFILM
    Model:
    FinePix HS25EXR
    Date / Time:
    2014:07:11 21:03:00
    Exposure Time:
    1/850 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    4.2 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).