Join our zoo community
Buckeye092

Orang Exhibit

This is a view of the orangutan exhibit. First of all this is my least favorite exhibit at the zoo, and I think it is a bad representation of our zoo. First I'll defend it: it has many excellent climbing opporotunities and our orangs LOVE to interact with the public. The negative aspects include the terracing and the lack of large foliage. For those who don't know, in the US orangutans make the most escapes, more than any other animal because of their intelligence. So if we had large trees they would probably have escaped if we didn't raise the back wall. We have added a lot of shrubs. While I think this is a bad exhibit for the Columbus Zoo this is an average orangutan exhibit compared to some in the US and in Europe.

Orang Exhibit
Buckeye092, 28 Jan 2009
    • Buckeye092
      This is a view of the orangutan exhibit. First of all this is my least favorite exhibit at the zoo, and I think it is a bad representation of our zoo. First I\'ll defend it: it has many excellent climbing opporotunities and our orangs LOVE to interact with the public. The negative aspects include the terracing and the lack of large foliage. For those who don\'t know, in the US orangutans make the most escapes, more than any other animal because of their intelligence. So if we had large trees they would probably have escaped if we didn\'t raise the back wall. We have added a lot of shrubs. While I think this is a bad exhibit for the Columbus Zoo this is an average orangutan exhibit compared to some in the US and in Europe.
    • snowleopard
      Woodland Park Zoo in Seattle has a fantastic orangutan exhibit that is perhaps the best in North America, and it is extremely naturalistic and lacks the huge, ugly walls that Columbus built into this habitat. I do agree with you that there are many terrible orang enclosures worldwide that pale in comparison to this one at the Columbus Zoo, but this is an excellent zoo and should really know better.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Columbus Zoo and Aquarium
    Uploaded By:
    Buckeye092
    Date:
    28 Jan 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count: