Join our zoo community
baboon

Orangutan Exhibit

Orangutan Exhibit
baboon, 17 Jan 2017
Nikola Chavkosk likes this.
    • FunkyGibbon
      It's almost not worth commenting on how ridiculous this enclosure is.
    • Zooplantman
      It is no smaller than many I have seen but there seems nothing for the animals to do except to play with hot wire
    • Nikola Chavkosk
      It's not as that bad; At least they have surroundings with live trees, and grass on the floor - that offer some limited investigation opportunity (eg. insects in the grass). There is also some furniture for climbing as I can see. If live trees are going to be provided, and also additional climbing furniture, this would be very attractive enclosure, as already is judging from number of reviews of this photo - compared to other that are currently on display in the first few pages. :)
    • FunkyGibbon
      @Zooplantman Yes, the footprint is comparable to most I've seen I think.

@Nikola Chavkosk Saying they are surrounded by live trees is like saying a starving dog has food in tins; if they can't get to it it means very little. Even the phrase 'some furniture' is generous, all we can see in this picture is one loop of concrete tree.
      With A LOT of additional climbing opportunities added this would be a perfectly good looking enclosure, but they are lacking, so it isn't.
      The number of views is just a result of people reading the comments.
      Zooplantman likes this.
    • Nikola Chavkosk
      @FunkyGibbon Ok partially I agree with your comment.
      However this enclosure leave impression of a quite naturalistic look, in comparison to some orangutan enclosures in Western zoos that leave impression of a barren environment (eg. only with artifitial climbing furniture, and no grass and no live trees around). I don't liked the new orangutan enclosure in Edinburg zoo, for example. I think also surrounding natural scenery is important for animals to feel good, even if they do not have access to surrounding.
      baboon likes this.
    • Zooplantman
      We can agree that the most important thing for the animals (besides conditions promoting physical health) are enriching opportunities. Depending on the species, they may prioritize smells or tasting opportunities or tactile opportunities or exercise/physical effort opportunities. Visual opportunities surely always fall low on the list. If an exhibit has little to engage the animal within reach, distant views will do little good for the animal.
      I believe strongly in the value of suitable settings for exhibits, but they are not sufficient in themselves to enhance the health and well-being of a zoo animal.
    • CindelP
      Orangs are suposed to spend almost 100% of their time on top os trees and their normal movement is to balance between trees. Well, this enclosure has none of them. Add climbing trees (fake or natural) plus ropes and it may be a very nice exibit, but at the moment, very bare and not suitable.
    • MagpieGoose
      @Nikola Chavkosk Do you mean Edinburgh when you say Edinburg? Edinburgh Zoo hasn't held Orangs since 1986
    • Nikola Chavkosk
      @MagpieGoose Oh my mistake. I don't rememeber. It was Dublin zoo in Ireland that provided very expensive enclosure for orangutans, with artifitial high tree-looking figures? I think Giant p. provided the photos?
      Yes I meant Edinburgh in Scotland.
    • baboon
      Thanks for all your comments :) The lacking of climbing opportunities is a pity for this newly-open exhibit.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Chongqing Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    baboon
    Date:
    17 Jan 2017
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    314.7 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    900px
    Height:
    600px
    Aperture:
    f/5.6
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Date / Time:
    2016:04:30 13:49:55
    Exposure Time:
    1/5000 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 1600
    Focal Length:
    105 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).