Pulang (F)
      Born at Perth Zoo 21/12/1993
      Sire: Atjeh; Dam: Puan

Offspring:

Lestari (F)

Born at Perth Zoo 09/01/2012
      Sire: Hsing Hsing
    • Jambo
      @Zoofan15 Was Pulang originally going to be released? Her name does mean ‘Going home’, so it’s interesting to know that at this time Perth were already planning for the release of some of their Orangutans into the wild.

If she was planned to be released, do you know why the plans were abandoned?
      Zoofan15 likes this.
    • Zoofan15
      @Jambo That’s interesting. I never thought of that, but it does allude to the idea of them considering the release programme. Temara (the first female released) was only 15 months older in age; so the most obvious reasons I can think of are: 1) Temara was 2nd generation and less valuable to the breeding programme then Pulang (1st generation) or 2) Temara was considered better adapted to life in the wild. Temara was quite a confident orangutan I believe.

I hope they can continue their release programme in the future. The zoo bred orangs are great amabassadors for conservation.
      Jambo likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Perth Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Zoofan15
    Date:
    11 Apr 2020
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    1.2 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    4032px
    Height:
    3024px
    Aperture:
    f/2.2
    Make:
    Apple
    Model:
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Date / Time:
    2016:09:21 15:25:31
    Exposure Time:
    1/490 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 25
    Focal Length:
    4.15 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).