Join our zoo community
KevinB

Orinoco river dolphin or Boto Baby (Inia geoffrensis humboldtiana), 2008-08-06

From my personal archives, in fond and loving memory of Baby, a unique and beloved zoo animal.

Orinoco river dolphin or Boto Baby (Inia geoffrensis humboldtiana), 2008-08-06
    • MonkeyBat
      I tried looking it up and couldn't find anything, so, I hope this doesn't come out stupid, does Duisburg still have river dolphins?
    • KevinB
      @MonkeyBat Unfortunately not. Baby was the last one and he sadly passed away recently, on December 21st, which is also the reason why I posted these archive pictures.
    • MonkeyBat
      @KevinB How sad. I'm sure he will be missed by many. Aren't there plans to replace him with manatees?
    • KevinB
      @MonkeyBat I believe having read or heard at the time the Rio Negro exhibit at Duisburg opened (in 2005) it was already planned at that time to house manatees in this tank once Baby passed.

There were several manatee births in European zoos in the last couple of years, so there will be some animals available at some point in the future.
      AWP and MonkeyBat like this.
    • RatioTile
      Thanks for honoring his life. He was quite the celebrity for us ZooChatters.
    • DelacoursLangur
      I hope that one day they will be able to try again with river dolphins. Being adapted to shallow riverine conditions I still think they hold alot of potential for being a sustainable zoo species.
    • MonkeyBat
      @DelacoursLangur Though it would be cool for them to make a comeback, the only way for this to happen would be getting them from South American collections (if they have them) or have them be wild caught (which would be extremely unethical)
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Zoo Duisburg
    Uploaded By:
    KevinB
    Date:
    31 Dec 2020
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    3.9 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1440px
    Height:
    1354px
    Aperture:
    f/5.0
    Make:
    OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP.
    Model:
    E-500
    Date / Time:
    2008:08:06 14:24:41
    Exposure Time:
    1/125 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 400
    Focal Length:
    70 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).