Join our zoo community
DelacoursLangur

Otter Cage

I assume this was holding, but still wierd to have it tucked next to the dolphin pool.

Otter Cage
DelacoursLangur, 27 Feb 2020
    • Westcoastperson
      It's slightly complicated why they are back there.
      So I'm just going to put it out there that SeaWorld's corporate sucks and one or two years ago they fired their entire animal ambassadors team. SeaWorld has a Sea Lion show that also has Asian small-clawed otters and so they have to keep the animals that aren't always used in shows with the animal ambassadors for presentations or backstage holding. The animal ambassadors area used to be at animal connections until they tore that down and built a ride inside of it that doesn't work and SeaWorld is now sewing (or maybe it's over not so sure) the ride manufacturer. At the time the dolphin show area was hosting some show that included a ton of birds including crowned cranes, black vultures, and different species of colorful parrot. So they had these bird cages that were holding the parrots and they realized they could just keep the otters on the floor of these cages. That's why there are ropes and a perch in the cage because it's meant to hold parrots. Now the reason why the parrots aren't there anymore is that they ended the old show with bords and they now reside in some small cages near the bathrooms at the back of the park next to the events Pavillion. I'm sorry that took so long but the way SeaWorld does things is just so unnecessarily convoluted and stupid.
    • DelacoursLangur
      @Westcoastperson I figured as much. I did my very best to seek out and photograph the seemingly randomly placed and ignored aviaries hidden behind all the rollercoasters... Honestly Seaworld is really a prime example of why we need and rely upon good publicly funded zoological institutions so much. When fascilities are run by corporations you end up with a theme park / gift shop with a few animals thrown in as an afterthought. Still found it interesting to visit to get to see orcas and emperor penguins for the first time, but other than that it was just gross and depressing...
    • Westcoastperson
      @DelacoursLangur It is quite sad. SeaWorld has some of the best animal care in the world and they have quite an extensive collection but they don't use them well. Most of their exhibits are poorly done and the ones that are nice but don't hold the main animals the park is known for are usually shut down to build new rides or restaurants. They also keep a variety of birds behind the scenes that could make excellent aviaries. They were on a better path a few years ago when they were going to expand their Orca exhibit and make it look really nice and have more space and activities for the whales. But they were shut down by the California Coastal Commission so now they believe the only way to increase profit is to make themselves a theme park which isn't true but it's how they think they will survive and we can't do much about it.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    SeaWorld San Diego
    Uploaded By:
    DelacoursLangur
    Date:
    27 Feb 2020
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    6.4 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    6016px
    Height:
    4000px
    Aperture:
    f/5.6
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D3200
    Date / Time:
    2019:04:11 00:05:11
    Exposure Time:
    10/16000 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 400
    Focal Length:
    18 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).