Tim May

Otter civet; Natural History Museum Brussels; 14th May 2010

Cynogale bennettii

Otter civet; Natural History Museum Brussels; 14th May 2010
Tim May, 20 May 2010
    • Tim May
      Cynogale bennettii
    • ungulate nerd
      San Diego Zoo used to have Otter civets, there is a photo of the Otter civets at San Diego Zoo in my Walkers Mammal Guides.

In Europe, they also had Otter civets at the London Zoo and also at Wassenar Dierenpark

As far as I am aware there have not been any Otter civets outside of Southeast Asia since the 1970s or 1980s, does anyone know if there are any in captivity in their home range ?
      BenFoxster likes this.
    • Tim May
      Yes, London Zoo acquired an otter civet in 1954; it is listed in the Annual Report for 1954 as "new to the collection".
    • UngulateNerd92
      Very Interesting! how did London Zoo source their Otter civets, were they wild caught or captive bred ? I know that around that time they were kept at zoos in their home range, I dont remember specific collections off hand, but I do remember reading about Otter civets in southeast asian zoos in old volumes of IZY
    • TeaLovingDave
      They were wild-caught :) as with all other holdings of the species.
    • Tim May
      Although you mention otter civets in the pleural, it was a single specimen that London Zoo obtained in 1954.

As Dave has already commented, I am sure this individual would have been wild caught.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Belgium - Other
    Uploaded By:
    Tim May
    Date:
    20 May 2010
    View Count:
    Comment Count: