Join our zoo community
Hix

Outdoor Ape enclosure - 1984

Film used was Agfachrome, and the slides have all turned piink over time. February 1984

Outdoor Ape enclosure - 1984
Hix, 4 Dec 2008
kiang likes this.
    • Hix
      Film used was Agfachrome, and the slides have all turned piink over time.
      February 1984
    • Mzungu
      oo myyyyyyyy
    • lintworm
      This is a very interesting design, wonder which species was kept here, and where it was located. It reminds me a bit from the tiger and lion enclosures at Antwerp that still exist.
    • Hix
      From memory, I think they were orangs. The two doors at the top of the stairs were normal house doors for the keepers to access the exhibit. Not sure how many orangs they had using this exhibit at the one time.
    • gentle lemur
      I think this is the enclosure which was used for the 'mountain gorillas' in the 1970s (they were actually Gorilla gorilla graueri). But then it had a much larger land area and a narrower moat. I have sldies and scans somewhere which I will try to look out.
      Incidentally I think a little work with Photoshop (or a similar program) could restore much of the lost colour to this image.

Alan
    • Maguari
      Thought I'd take up gentlelemur's challenge and have a quick play with the colour settings in Office Picture Manager (hope you don't mind Hix!).

It's far from perfect but gives an idea of what you can do:
    • Hix
      I now have PaintShopPro and have made corrections for fading on many of my images. I've considered re-uploading, but then I can't edit my first post which refers to the fading. And as there were so many, and it would take a while to make them look really good, I haven't bothered.

Maguari - thats a very good colour correction!
    • Maguari
      Cheers! Was only a quick one - was sitting bored at home (on call for work!) so rather enjoyed the distraction!

With PSP you should be able to get some great results from these.
    • Blackduiker
      Blackduiker

Very nice restoration of the photo Maguari, but still a terrible looking exhibit.
    • SMR
      Hey, it's a cool new ZooChat competition, "Restore the Photo". :)

This is a quick combination of Lightroom and Photoshop. There are still a few green tinges, but as there isn't a prize...
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    ZOO Antwerpen
    Uploaded By:
    Hix
    Date:
    4 Dec 2008
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    247.5 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1584px
    Height:
    1036px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).