Join our zoo community
Trebaruna

Ouwehand / Rhenen (NL) Orang-utan

the outside enclosure for the orang-utans is very original. A lot of high poles with ropes above the visitors. It is called "apen op stelten" which translated into something like "Monkeys on stilts"

Ouwehand / Rhenen (NL) Orang-utan
Trebaruna, 3 Jun 2008
    • Trebaruna
      the outside enclosure for the orang-utans is very original. A lot of high poles with ropes above the visitors. It is called "apen op stelten" which translated into something like "Monkeys on stilts"
    • NZ Jeremy
      How is it an enclosure if the animals aren't enclosed..?
    • Trebaruna
      :p they can't climb down the poles because of electrical whires. So they are enclosed ;)
    • zooman
      Wow very rare to see an exhibit concept that I gave not seen before and brilliant exercise for the Orangutans! Does anyone know if the Orangutans here are more active ?
    • Zooplantman
    • zooman
      Hi Zooplantman,
      I have seen DC and have followed the thread on here re Indianapolis exhibit.

While I agree they are both similar concept, I would still say this is stand alone ( no pun intended ) ( well maybe a little ;) as an entire outdoor exhibit within a defined space with no apparent ground space, totally viewable in one space.

Both Indy and DC from what I know don't consistently have there apes using the space whereas and I may be wrong, I am assuming that this area is the entire outdoor area and the apes are consistently in this space when outdoors. This may be just semantics but I do think these point make this exhibit unique.
    • Pertinax
      Do you have a closer view of this?
    • Zooplantman
    • zooman
      Hi Zooplantman,

I think that I will have to visit this zoo! I have been to the Netherlands many times and never heard of this zoo, so defiantly next visit, hopefully mid next year.

I wonder. If this exhibit us suitable to other primaries or would most other primates just jump down!

Are Orangutans known for jumping not just brachiating, I have never considered this but I have never seen a orangutan jump! So maybe they are the only primate suited to this particular format/height of barrier in a enclosure?
    • zooman
      I have been searching for better images without luck.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Ouwehands Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Trebaruna
    Date:
    3 Jun 2008
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    51.6 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    512px
    Height:
    384px
    Aperture:
    f/3.1
    Make:
    OLYMPUS CORPORATION
    Model:
    X250,D560Z,C350Z
    Date / Time:
    0000:00:00 00:00:00
    Exposure Time:
    10/3200 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 90
    Focal Length:
    5.8 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).