Join our zoo community
Arizona Docent

overview of exhibit

March 17, 2012. A sneak peek for docents of the new elephant exhibit. Barn and pool are off camera to left. Additional animal yard, including mud wallow, are off camera to right.

overview of exhibit
Arizona Docent, 18 Mar 2012
    • Arizona Docent
      March 17, 2012.
      A sneak peek for docents of the new elephant exhibit. Barn and pool are off camera to left. Additional animal yard, including mud wallow, are off camera to right.
    • DavidBrown
      Are the eles actually out using the exhibit yet?
    • Arizona Docent
      Boy that was the fastest reply to a photo post I have ever gotten! Yes, they are all enjoying the exhibit daily.

Docents have been going out every day for about a week (but I had to leave early last time so today was my first time to go out). I also saw a small group of families getting a tour today so I assume they are major donors. This coming Friday night (March 23) is the official donor preview, then Saturday night (March 24) is the official docent preview, then Sunday through Tuesday (March 25-27) is the member preview, then Wednesday (March 28) it is open to the public.
    • Blackduiker
      There must be much excitement in the air for Tuscon residents.
    • Arizona Docent
      That is definitely an understatement. To get a sense of how significant this 7 acre addition is, you have to understand that the entire rest of the zoo is only 15 acres. So this is a 50% increase in land area. Plus the first time an established breeding herd has been moved from one zoo to another. And the first multi-million dollar project in our zoo's history.
    • DavidBrown
      I've seen some of the signs for the new elephant exhibit that you have taken Arizona Docent. When you get a chance would it be possible to take some photos of the exhibit graphics, displays, etc. that directly connect the Reid Park Zoo elephant exhibit with the Tarangire Elephant Project that the zoo is sponsoring? I would like to figure out how to start documenting how zoo elephants are acting as real ambassadors for their wild cousins. This is an important topic that doesn't seem to have gotten much attention.

This exhibit looks very nice and I look forward to getting down to Tucson to see it at some point.
    • Arizona Docent
      When I was there yesterday they were still installing the educational graphics, so that part is not quite done. When I go to the docent opening party this coming Saturday, everything should be installed and I will definitely do full coverage of all the graphics.
    • DavidBrown
      Great, thanks very much:).
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Reid Park Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Arizona Docent
    Date:
    18 Mar 2012
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    62.8 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    432px
    Height:
    288px
    Aperture:
    f/8.0
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Date / Time:
    2012:03:17 11:15:19
    Exposure Time:
    1/320 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 200
    Focal Length:
    24 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).