Join our zoo community
Chlidonias

owl display area

October 2019

owl display area
Chlidonias, 10 Nov 2019
    • Chlidonias
      This is a set within the main walk-through aviary. I'm not sure if any were actually tethered - certainly some were moving from perch to perch of their own accord. I'm presuming they are wing-clipped.

The owls displayed in here are:
      *Barn Owl
      *Oriental Bay Owl
      *Brown Wood Owl
      *Spotted Wood Owl
      *Buffy Fish Owl
      *Barred Eagle Owl

All the species can be seen in the photo above.
    • Great Argus
      I wonder if they ever have aggression issues... I know some of the Bubo owls are not above killing smaller species.
    • Chlidonias
      @Great Argus - I have also wondered that before, especially when seeing a comparison such as in the photo below (taken by myself at the Penang Bird Park):

[​IMG]
    • Great Argus
      Wow, that photo seems like predation waiting to happen. (Nice photo by the way!) I wonder if they're kept sated so maybe not worth the hassle to the bigger species? I've noted when the local pair of wild Great Horned Owls start calling, the Barn and screech owls silence very quickly. But maybe if there's enough food and perching to go around it's a truce? Either way I've seen enough squabbles and fights between birds of prey it doesn't seem wise to house such a size variation together.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Kuala Lumpur Bird Park
    Uploaded By:
    Chlidonias
    Date:
    10 Nov 2019
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    2.2 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    4153px
    Height:
    2769px
    Aperture:
    f/3.5
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS 1100D
    Date / Time:
    2019:10:04 16:31:30
    Exposure Time:
    1/320 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 1600
    Focal Length:
    20 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).