KEEPER

owl-faced guenons

1.1 owl-faced guenons at the mixed gorillas enclosure

owl-faced guenons
KEEPER, 13 Sep 2008
    • KEEPER
      1.1 owl-faced guenons at the mixed gorillas enclosure
    • Kriba
      Great photo! I've never seen these monkeys, very interesting. They live with the gorillas? How many gorillas does the zoo have?
    • KEEPER
      Many thanks! :) I love very much this species since I "discovered" it in a mammals guide in 1986...Actually, at least since my last visit, they have (1.2) gorillas in a breeding group and 1 bachelor male. And yes the owl-faced monkeys (1.1)are mixed with gorillas.
    • Pertinax
      I really hope the Gorillas don't end up killing them as has happened with Gorilla/monkey combinations in a few other places. Monkeys seem to get on fine with females and younger Gorillas but Silverbacks aren't always so tolerant or playful. The Owl-faced Monkey has such a small and precarious population in European zoos every animal is too valuable to put in a risk situation. I would perhaps rather see a less-rare species used to mix with the Gorillas.
    • KEEPER
      At least every time I visit bioparc, the owl-faced never are too close to the silverback, this it's not very conclusively in fact,I know, but it's at least give peace of mind...I hope any dead be reported.
    • Pertinax
      They probably keep away from silverback 'Mambie' instinctively. Monkeys and Gorillas together seems to work fine over a period of time, then sometimes the Silverback traps a monkey where it can't escape and kills it- almost as if it has been planning to do it all along....:(

I love the Hamlyn's monkeys too- I just hope they are okay longterm with the Gorillas and will breed here. The enclosure looks very open, are there any branches for them to climb?
    • KEEPER
      They have hot wired trees (only in the base) the gorillas can't climb but the guenons/mangabeys can,I hope this help the monkeys scape from the eventual silverback attack
    • Yassa
      Keeper, do you know or can you find out where the female owl-face monkey came from? I know the male is from Leipzig, but I never found out where the female is from. Thanks!
    • Pertinax
      That is good then. Not saying he will definately attack them one day, but there is a risk it could happen..... I know of at least two monkey deaths caused by male Gorillas- a De Brazza in Melbourne & a Colobus in Port Lympne(which also probably gave the Gorilla Hepatitis he later died from)
    • BjoernN
      @Yassa
      The female is also born at Leipzig, called "Thea". She is the aunt of her husband....

I do not think they will ever breed in this enclosue, no places to hide, no shadow - both are enormous important for a breeding success of owl-faced-monkey.....
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Bioparc Valencia
    Uploaded By:
    KEEPER
    Date:
    13 Sep 2008
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    151.7 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1528px
    Height:
    1599px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).