Join our zoo community
fkalltheway

Owl Forest

Owl Forest
fkalltheway, 19 Apr 2012
    • Arizona Docent
      For some reason I always assumed the Tracy Aviary was entirely indoors. Judging by this outside area, the grounds must be bigger than I imagined.

Also I wonder is this the only large scale bird park in the United States? (I mean a facility devoted exclusively to birds and larger than the small specialized raptor facilities).
    • Ituri
      I hadn't even noticed the turkey when I first looked at it. Is this a wild bird (I've heard there have been some sightings) or a collection animal?

The Tracy Aviary is located on 8 acres in Liberty Park, near downtown Salt Lake City. It is the largest public aviary in the nation, but not the only one. The only other major one is in Pittsburgh, but that facility is almost entirely indoors.

The Tracy Aviary is also unique on focusing on birds of the Americas, designing a new master plan that is based off of the migration routes that run from the arctic to Argentina.

Here is a park map:
      http://www.tracyaviary.org/development-v2/pdf/tracyaviarymap-apr12.pdf
    • fkalltheway
      Tracy Aviary is almost entirely outdoors. The birds all have access to heated indoor shelters but the only indoor areas accessible to the public are the South American Pavilion and the front building's gift shop and education space.

The turkey isn't a collection animal, he just appeared at the aviary one day. He stuck around for a while and then one day he disappeared, maybe he wanted to check out the zoo next. We have lots of bird visitors, right now there's a wild wood duck that visits and occasionally mandarin ducks will appear. There was a bald eagle hanging out around the aviary a while ago.
    • DavidBrown
      Is there any relationship between the Hogle Zoo and the aviary? Do they work to make their collections complementary to each other?
    • Ituri
      There is no formal relationship between the two facilities. I guess they complement each others collections because Hogle's bird collection is sparse at best.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Tracy Aviary
    Uploaded By:
    fkalltheway
    Date:
    19 Apr 2012
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    400.3 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1200px
    Height:
    1600px
    Aperture:
    f/9.0
    Make:
    SONY
    Model:
    DSC-W350
    Date / Time:
    2012:03:01 13:48:28
    Exposure Time:
    10/600 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 80
    Focal Length:
    6.74 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).