Join our zoo community
Maxime

Owston's Palm Civet (Chrotogale owstoni)

One of the two owston's palm civets in Zoo de Pont-Scorff before their departure to the Rare Species Conservation Centre.

Owston's Palm Civet (Chrotogale owstoni)
Maxime, 11 Mar 2011
amur leopard likes this.
    • Maxime
      The owston\'s palm civet in Zoo de Pont-Scorff before her departure to the Rare Species Conservation Centre.
    • zoomaniac
      What was the reason to sent away this zoo treasure?
    • Maxime
      For this species, mortality in captivity was very high. The RSCC (and more broadly the United Kingdom) wanted to bring all of Europe's population to increase the chances of reproduction. The Zoo de Pont-Scorff was therefore compelled to send his civet in 2010. ;-)
    • zoomaniac
      Thanks for your answer, Maxime.

Good decision from the zoos.
    • Baldur
      And benefits me; I'm not sure when I'll get to see Pont-Scorff (although of course I'd like to tomorrow if I could) but a visit to RSCC is planned for April! :) (and I hope it will be alive then)
    • Antoine
      Sorry for you Baldur but there aren't owston's palm civet anymore at RSCC.

If you want to be sure to see this species you must go to Newquay (which collected the major part of them for Europe) or Shaldon (I don't know if this small park have one of it or more).
    • Baldur
      OK - I was thinking about seeing Newquay too (it is a zoo trip of southern England) but still wasn't sure. Knowing they have these has given it extra weight! :D
    • Pygathrix
      Broxbourn are listed as having one as well
    • foz
      newquay seem to breed them well so there are usually cubs, unfortunatley the viewing isnt that great they are usually in a dark small window (but perhaps this is what has lead to the good breeding :confused: )
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Les Terres de Nataé
    Uploaded By:
    Maxime
    Date:
    11 Mar 2011
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    231.3 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/3.5
    Make:
    SONY
    Model:
    DSC-H2
    Date / Time:
    2007:07:14 22:01:17
    Exposure Time:
    10/600 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    17.5 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).