Join our zoo community
pachyderm pro

Pachyderm House - Former Pygmy Hippo Exhibit

Pachyderm House - Former Pygmy Hippo Exhibit
    • Amphibiman
      Whoa. Former? They got rid of their pygmy hippos? I know one passed not too long ago, but I didn't think they were getting rid of them. When did this happen?
    • pachyderm pro
      The zoo still has one elderly female in the smaller exhibit by the old hippo pool, the west entrance of the building. This was the exhibit gone to the other female that passed last year.
      Amphibiman likes this.
    • Amphibiman
      Thank you. That's sad. It feels like they just don't know what to do with this building any longer. I think the only animals that still live there, aside from the elderly female pygmy hippo, are the black rhinoceros.
    • pachyderm pro
      There is still a breeding pair of lowland tapirs and a giant anteater. Those animals along with the three black rhinos and lone Pygmy hippo are all that remains in this once crowded building. From what I’ve heard whenever funding is available the zoo intends to demolish this building. I am all for this idea as this complex is rapidly deteriorating and has become a maintenance nightmare, but at the same time I will miss the nostalgia this building brings. Regardless, I wouldn’t expect that to happen for at least several more years.
    • ZooFan1
      @pachyderm pro Maybe they should replace the Pachyderm building for an African Elephant exhibit.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Brookfield Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    pachyderm pro
    Date:
    9 May 2021
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    11.1 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    5184px
    Height:
    3456px
    Aperture:
    f/9.0
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS Rebel T6
    Date / Time:
    2000:01:01 00:00:02
    Exposure Time:
    1/100 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    18 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).