Join our zoo community
MeiLover

Pachyderm House - Former pygmy hippo exhibits, now belonging to the capybara

Pachyderm House - Former pygmy hippo exhibits, now belonging to the capybara
MeiLover, 30 Nov 2021
Dhole dude and DelacoursLangur like this.
    • snowleopard
      From elephants...to common hippos...to pygmy hippos...to capybaras...to gerbils? ;)
    • birdsandbats
      @snowleopard Considering I've never seen in a gerbil in a zoo, sounds like an upgrade to me. ;)
    • StoppableSan
      @snowleopard Nah, the next inhabitant will be the infamous Caerbannog.

• StoppableSan
      For all of its faults, the Pachyderm House at Brookfield truly has some iconic architecture with its art deco style, and I do hope that once this building bites the dust, at the very least some of the art deco elements (notably the "Pachyderms" archway) remains should the zoo do right by the public's demands for the return of a certain large, gray mammal...
    • LycaonSekowei
      Was this the last pygmy hippo?
    • MonkeyBat
      @LionTamarin Brookfield Zoo's website still has them listed, and says you can adopt the other one named Obesa. Is Obesa still alive?
    • Dhole dude
      @MonkeyBat Pretty sure she passed away this year.
    • pachyderm pro
      @Dhole dude Is correct. Both Pygmy hippos have died and the zoo no longer has any.
    • LycaonSekowei
      @pachyderm pro Do you think they'll get more? Or do you think they'll phase out their pygmy hippo program entirely.

Personally, I think they should just remake the Pachyderm house with pretty much the same species that it's held (African Elephant, Black Rhino, Lowland Tapir, and Pygmy OR River Hippos). The Pachyderm House just seems a little outdated.
    • IndianRhino
      @LionTamarin there are a number of younger pygmy hippos in the North American population that could be sent over to Brookfield, however it might be beneficial to renovate this habitat prior to getting more animals. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if they phase out the species entirely as Lincoln Park already has pygmy hippo.

I also think renovating or remodeling the house may be the best choice at this point... it's very sad it went from having several large pachyderms to only housing black rhino and lowland tapir now. They could make it an extension of the African savannah and the tapir and other non-African species could be relocated to other regions of the zoo. Also, I highly doubt elephants are coming back to Brookfield or Lincoln Park unfortunately and river hippo is also probably a no for the forseeable future.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Brookfield Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    MeiLover
    Date:
    30 Nov 2021
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    3 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    4028px
    Height:
    2423px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).