Join our zoo community
Gomphothere

Pair of Curassows in World of Birds

Pair of Curassows in World of Birds
Gomphothere, 8 Jun 2015
    • LaughingDove
      Are those Blue-billed Curassows?!
    • Gomphothere
      Good question. I don't remember what the sign on the cage said, but the bird guide info on line says that the Blue-billed is the only one with blue on its bill, so it must be.
    • LaughingDove
      Interesting, not many around in European collections. How common are they in the US?
    • Gomphothere
      I have no idea. The Bronx Zoo has at least two pair, the one in the pic and another in the pheasant aviary at the opposite corner of the zoo.
    • bigfoot410
      This exhibit is also supposed to have Cotton Top Tamarin and Red Footed tortoise which I did not see on my visit. And yes these are blue billed curassows.
    • ThylacineAlive
      Those are Northern Helmeted Curassows (nominate subspecies) in the Pheasant Aviaries. The zoos has Blue-Billed Curassows both in this enclosure and in the South American walk-through on the second floor (still represents at least two pairs).

I don't know how common they are but I've seen the species both here and at Smithsonian.

~Thylo:cool:
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Bronx Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Gomphothere
    Date:
    8 Jun 2015
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    537.2 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    960px
    Height:
    1280px
    Aperture:
    f/2.2
    Make:
    Apple
    Model:
    iPhone 6
    Date / Time:
    2015:06:06 14:21:00
    Exposure Time:
    1/30 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 64
    Focal Length:
    4.15 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).