Join our zoo community
alexkant

Palawan tree shrew/ Tupaia palawanensis

Palawan tree shrew/ Tupaia palawanensis
alexkant, 25 Jan 2013
Summer Tanager likes this.
    • Baghira
      Would you be so kindly, I would need more of the findings, that the results of this institution Philippines. Avilon Zoo, I beg you, therefore I would need to know exactly where and which made the capture of the island, from species of Tupaia palawanensis to Avilon Zoo. Because in Avilon Zoo bred several specimens of this species. A fact I would need to determine the closer. Because much depends on Islands of what was done taking this species. Unless islands of Palawan and Balabac, then Calamian islands of Culion, Busuanga and Cuyo. To be sure, what it is and thus their taxonomic identification. Whether it is a subspecies of the Calamian islands (moellendorffi) or directly from Palawan (palawanensis) within species: palawan treeshrew (Tupaia palawanensis)?
      Please, I'd love to know therefore determination to do it. If you were really so very helpful.
    • alexkant
      Hi,
      Unfortunatelly, I cannot say you exactly. I was lucky to see this animals and to take a picture (it was not so easy). Do you know what 's the differ between two species? I just used this signage in the zoo: http://www.zooinstitutes.com/signs/2800.jpg
    • Baghira
      I'm in the less well know much about. But I have never seen palawan treeshrew
      in such controversial colors on fur. Actually, I have so palawan treeshrew such a colorful, yet he could not actually see.
      Normally they have true palawan treeshrews pure black tails; but the individual in this photo has brown tail. Seen:
      Synopsis of Philippine Mammals | Search By Species

Marcus Ward Lyon turn indicates in their work:
      Treeshrews: an account of the mammalian family Tupaiidae - Marcus Ward Lyon
      Proc U S National Mus 45: 1-186 (1913)
      just this:

"Remarks. — Tupaia mollendorffi is quite different and apparently
      very distinct from its geographic neighbor, T. palawanensis. It is
      smaller and its external appearance quite different from the typical
      Palawan form. When compared with the Puerto Princesa (Palawan)
      specimens it is not so distinct, but its lighter colored tail serves to
      distinguish it easily. It was identified by Nehring ^ in 1894 as
      Tupaia ferruginea. Specimens examined. — Four.
      ^ Sitz. Ber. Ges. naturf. Freunde, Berlin, 1894, p. 184."

But true calamian treeshrews probably from the island of Culion have brighter more colorful tail. The population of the island of Balabac not mention.

on page 81; in this document
      Treeshrews: an account of the mammalian family Tupaiidae - BioStor

Although lighter by colorful tail when palawan treeshrew of Avilon Zoo, it may tend to calamian treeshrew, at least according to Marcus Lyon in 1913, it may be so. Well for such a long time it could be for a time very much in this respect to change.

But this is a lot of old information. And actually I do not know if could still be trusted. However, there are between subspecies or species morphometric differences in the skull. And thus determined is a lot more difficult. So now I see.

But those differences a group of experts will still doubt - that the animals are from different islands slightly different in size yet not be wholly reliable feature, or have a lighter tail and as I write different color intensities on the abdominal side. Coat color in the dense primeval areas can be highly variable even within a single population. Moreover, it does not fit into little Balabac Island, where the population appears to show "signs" of both species. In addition, three subspecies have been described from the three calamian islands of T.moellendorfi and if there is already difficult to talk about their validity or invalidity.

"Helgen (2005) listed T. moellendorffi as a separate species (including busuangae
      from Busuanga and Culion and cuyonis from Cuyo) on the basis of overall appearance.
      We continue to recognize a single species, pending completion of current studies
      by Olson, Roberts, Sargis, et al. (pers. comm.)."

In secret, however, I hope that it can still be one of calamian islands. Because even this possibility can not be excluded matter of fact. Personally, I would beg to know the very thing that your modest opinion. Because it is not impossible that the two individuals from Avilon Zoo were just islands of Palawan and Balabac. Likewise, it may also be of calamian islands.

I just need to know your opinion, because some can not correctly guess where it is about the truth.
      Could you please do consider it so, as it were, and thus the right to trust that information, and since then, or still may be the truth? I ask you about it. If you are not on it, I can ask. Because I do not know yet whether this may be the truth, and therefore the correct identification? I begged for it, if you have.

Please. Because so far decided not extend my options. I therefore reckon with and your willingness? Please. And even though I'm in this direction as too bold. Please nicely. I admit that my experiences are very poor. A champion in that it is definitely not like. Please just about the only taxon of what - what then? Seriously you still we break above the head. The fact that most of you beg. You could try this case is about to learn the most? Of course, if it bothered you. Respectful.
    • alexkant
      The only wo things I can be sure:
      1. The tail is dark, not light
      2. It was huge compared to other asian tree shrews I've even seen.
      I will upload another picture, maybe it will help you.
    • Baghira
      Thank you. It really helped.
      You are right. It's palawan treeshrew (Tupaia palawanensis) sensu stricto.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Avilon Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    alexkant
    Date:
    25 Jan 2013
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    207.2 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1063px
    Aperture:
    f/5.6
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D90
    Date / Time:
    2012:12:16 09:29:02
    Exposure Time:
    10/600 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 1250
    Focal Length:
    105 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).