Join our zoo community
Arizona Docent

Panorama of meerkat renovation

February 10, 2019

Panorama of meerkat renovation
Arizona Docent, 10 Feb 2019
snowleopard likes this.
    • Arizona Docent
      The children's splash area (Kenya Get Wet) has been removed. In its place is a second meerkat exhibit seen here (with the shade structure above it). The original meerkat exhibit is to the right where the other new shade structure is (and viewing window just barely visible). On far left is an overlook into the otter exhibit (which is out of frame on the left).
    • David Matos Mendes
      @Onychorhynchus coronatus Don't really like when zoos add human culture elements from the geographic region represented... It gets even worse when exagerate like this.
    • Onychorhynchus coronatus
      @David Matos Mendes I think the human cultural element is always an interesting addition but I think there are tasteful ways of doing this and it can get over the top / excessive very easily. This particular enclosure in the picture just seems so kitsch to me..plus it holds meerkats so yuck! :confused:
    • David Matos Mendes
      @Onychorhynchus coronatus Yes... I'm suspect to say, cause I'm addicted into naturalistic enclosures, so if it was for me, no humanistic / cultural elements would be ever added into a zoo...:D:p Maybe just to complete a scenery or something, but not an entire exhibit. I know what really matters is the animal's welfare, but it's just not my taste.

Ah, and don't you like meerkats? :D:D:D They're so nice!
      @David Matos Mendes For me it is always nice to read a sign that has some details about the cultural importance or symbolism of a species in the human culture of the part of the world in which it is native. I have a big interest in social / cultural anthropology so it sort of feeds both of my interests at once.

However, I really don't like over the top enclosures that have fake ancient Mayan or Hindu or Egyptian temples or settings from contemporary cultures like Indian or Han Chinese market places or streets etc. I just find them to be a total waste of money (it is really amazing to look at some of the zoos here in the gallery and to think of the money they pour into building these exhibits) and really quite kitsch / tacky.

Honestly, I would just rather that a decent information sign with this information was put up so that visitors could read it rather than a Hollywood "Indiana Jones" style set. For example, the enclosure in this picture seems to be in a West African wattle and daube house style with a design with elements of the Dogon tribe. But the meerkat is Southern African and any cultural relevance it may have to native African cultures could be illustrated with a decent information sign / display.
    • Arizona Docent
      I agree the design is over-the-top and not to my taste. I am a completely naturalistic design guy. The inhabitants, however, are another story. Meerkats really are the perfect exhibit animal. They are active throughout the day (when many animals are sleeping), they are cute, they can be shown in groups, they exhibit a variety of behaviors (standing up as lookout, dashing into a burrow, etc). No one on ZooChat complains about tigers because too many zoos have them (or lions or giraffes), so I don't understand the distain for meerkats. I am not just referring to the comment on this thread, it is a theme that comes up time and again.
      @Arizona Docent Well, I guess each to their own, I've written a lot of comments regarding meerkats and my dislike for them in zoos lately :D. Regarding lions, giraffes and tigers I have to say I'm not exactly a fan of how many zoos keep these either but largely for different reasons than meerkats.
    • David Matos Mendes
      @Arizona Docent I'm also a natural exhibits addicted. Although, of course, antropologist aspects are interesting, I also love history of the civilizations, @Onychorhynchus coronatus, and I think this style of sign you mentioned would be pretty nice to enrich this cultural side. In my opinion, zoos should spend their money in larger and best enriched exhibits instead of exagerated scenery.

Talking about these "animals people dislike or are tired to see in zoos", I really don't know what's the deal with all this...o_O Any animal sight for me is precious.
    • David Matos Mendes
      @Arizona Docent I definitely think meerkats are pretty nice and worth to see and apreciate as every animal species. Actually, even if it sounds ironic, I have never seen them, even them being not rare in brazilian zoos, and I have actually been to a good number of zoological institutions here... Hope I see them soon.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Reid Park Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Arizona Docent
    Date:
    10 Feb 2019
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    638.3 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1243px
    Height:
    503px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).