Join our zoo community
KevinB

Parakeet aviary (with monk statue)

Home to monk parakeets, ring-necked parakeets, Eastern rosellas, cockatiels, Senegal parrots and burrowing parrots according to signage in the aviary.

Parakeet aviary (with monk statue)
KevinB, 23 Oct 2018
German Zoo World likes this.
    • KevinB
      I'm not a big fan of this aviary, to be honest. In my opinion it looks rather bland and boring and somewhat worn out. I also think the adventure route thing overly dominates this aviary (although admittedly this is one of the few places at Dierenpark Amersfoort where the fairly ubiquitous adventure routes truly infringe upon the areas for regular visitors of the exhibits for the animals). It is definitely one of the most barren and boring looking parrot aviaries I've seen, I've definitely seen better both in terms of aesthetics and animal housing.

Notice the monk statue in the alcove next to the adventure route. That must be one of the strangest things I've seen appearing in animal exhibits, only surpassed by a plastic hippo head in the moat of the Arctic fox (later on Patagonian mara) island at the Olmense Zoo (see link below) and a dilapidated plastic elephant in the pony/donkey yard at Mondo Verde (no photo on this site yet from what I've seen).

That said, the statue might just be a reference to Saint Francis of Assisi, the famous animal saint, who from a little Googling seems to be often depicted wearing a robe much like the one of the statue. But still a bit weird to have that in an exhibit, right?

Arctic fox island (April 19th, 2015) | ZooChat
    • Mr Gharial
      @KevinB

I assume the monk statue is a play on monk parakeet
    • KevinB
      @Mr Gharial Perhaps, but I have since learned that Francis of Assisi, the saint famously associated with animals, is commonly displayed with birds, so I think it may well have to do something with that. But it is still really odd.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    DierenPark Amersfoort
    Uploaded By:
    KevinB
    Date:
    23 Oct 2018
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    1.5 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1440px
    Height:
    1080px
    Aperture:
    f/4.5
    Make:
    OLYMPUS CORPORATION
    Model:
    E-M10 Mark III
    Date / Time:
    2018:08:05 14:37:06
    Exposure Time:
    1/80 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 200
    Focal Length:
    14 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).