Join our zoo community
Maguari

Part of the Mandrill exhibit at Colchester 29/11/09

The poles are a great improvement on the old children's playground kit that was there before.

Part of the Mandrill exhibit at Colchester 29/11/09
Maguari, 4 Dec 2009
    • Maguari
      The poles are a great improvement on the old children\'s playground kit that was there before.
    • Pertinax
      I thought this exhibit was much improved since last time I saw it, about 7 years back. The clumps of trees have grown a lot giving a more natural feel, and there is far more climbing equipment with the poles. I didn't like the funny 'boxes' that were all they had previously.
    • GillP
      In better weather the mandrills, especially the younger ones, play for hours on these poles and nets and are fascinating to watch. In my experience, they don't seem to like the cold or wet though and it's a shame that their indoor area at the back of this enclosure is off show because that's where they all gravitate to.
    • Pertinax
      Do they have access inside during the day? I've always presumed they don't and are shut outside, as otherwise they would be much harder to see.
    • ZooLeopard
      sometimes they are allowed in during the day or out during the night. Having 26 + mandrills creates a lot of mess as you cacn probably imagine, so this is why it doesn't happen every day.
    • GillP
      I don't know for sure but on my last few visits when the weather's been miserable, I've only seen 2 or 3 out of more than 20 so have assumed that's where they must be.
    • ZooLeopard
      The mandrills have just had extra housing built off show. A scatter feed is done out the back in the afternoon to bring them in for the night. Keepers are sometimes there for ages coaxing all 26 + in!
    • Pertinax
      Can anyone tell me where the current breeding male(oldest male- NDume) came from?

I believe they started with 1.2 from the Southport & London stock of the time, but that was many years ago now and I think there have been more than one different male since then?

Any other details of the breeding history would be welcome too.
    • Goretex
      This is certainly Colchester's most impressive primate exhibit now!:D I think those who are a bit critical of Colchester should see this.;)
    • ZooLeopard
      yep definately :D
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Colchester Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Maguari
    Date:
    4 Dec 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count: