Join our zoo community
snowleopard

Penguin Exhibit

April 2009. On May 2nd, 2009, the new $6.5 million Humboldt penguin exhibit opens to the public.

Penguin Exhibit
snowleopard, 23 Apr 2009
    • snowleopard
      April 2009. On May 2nd, 2009, the new $6.5 million Humboldt penguin exhibit opens to the public.
    • Dan
      Judging from my overall impression of this zoo, I bet this exhibit is going to be a very good one.
    • snowleopard
      The exhibit is 17,000 sq. ft, which is huge for penguins. The sheer cost of the construction ($6.5 million), the reputation of the zoo, the fact that it could be yet another award-winning enclosure all add up to the fact that I'm extremely excited to see it in person. It opens on May 2nd, and as long as the weather is nice I'll be there on May 3rd for photos! The zoo filled the penguin pool a month ago, and announced that they will never again refill the water. Apparently this new exhibit is environmentally friendly and allows for rainwater to be recycled throughout the tank. There are 10 male and 10 female Humboldt penguins that will be on show for the public in just over a week.
    • okapikpr
      It looks like its already well used with all the bird feces on the rocks...:p
    • reduakari
      Guano is a big part of the storyline for this exhibit--and a major factor accounting for the endangerment of Humbolt penguins. And white paint is cheap....
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Woodland Park Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    snowleopard
    Date:
    23 Apr 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count: