Join our zoo community
mhale

Persian leopard at Chessington Zoo, 24 May 2009

There are five leopards; Kalaf (m), Shakira (f), Cyrus (m), Soraya (f) and Tahmine (f).

Persian leopard at Chessington Zoo, 24 May 2009
mhale, 25 May 2009
    • mhale
      There are five leopards; Kalaf (m), Shakira (f), Cyrus (m), Soraya (f) and Tahmine (f).
    • JonnyS18
      Beautiful picture mhale! Chessington has really contributed well to the captive Persian Leopard population. Is anyone else aware of any other zoos in the UK that hold Persians? Amur leopards seem to be the main focus in captivity at the moment....
    • mhale
      I can't think of any offhand.
    • Jacobea
      Not a zoo per say, but I recall reading that Borth Animalarium had a rescued Persian leopard (from a house in Cardiff).
    • easytigger
      Santiago Rare Leopard project held and bred Iranian leopards as well, Shakira the breeding Female came from Berne zoo, Kalaf the male came from Stuttgart, Chessingtons original pair was Farah from Adelaide zoo Via Bristol and ZSL
    • johnstoni
      So what happened to the ones at the Welsh Mountain Zoo?
    • Cat-Man
      replaced by snow leopards
    • johnstoni
      Sure, I get that, I wondered what happened to the Persian Leopards though, as in where did they go on to? Or maybe they died before they were replaced?
    • Cat-Man
      that seems unlikely, i believe that the 2 enclosures were shared between 6 leopards, 4 pure bred persian, and 2 mixed raced blacks
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Chessington Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    mhale
    Date:
    25 May 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count: