Join our zoo community
Baldur

Philadelphia Zoo 2010 - Diurnal wing of Small Mammal House

September 2010 Diurnal wing of Small Mammal House. The entrance to the nocturnal wing is through the dark door to the right.

Philadelphia Zoo 2010 - Diurnal wing of Small Mammal House
Baldur, 15 Dec 2010
    • Baldur
      September 2010

Diurnal wing of Small Mammal House. The entrance to the nocturnal wing is through the dark door to the right.
    • European Fauna
      Excellent work Baldur - a fantastic compilation of material from Philadelphia including many shots much appreciated by small fauna enthusiasts such as myself.Always most useful to see the salient details of enclosures and zoo building design.
    • Baldur
      Thank you - this just encourages me to keep uploading - I still have left to upload my lot from Texas as well as Omaha, Bronx and Oklahoma City.

I made a list of what they have in both the diurnal and nocturnal wing - interested?
    • KCZooFan
      I would definatly in that list Baldur!

What was your opinion of Philadelphia?
    • European Fauna
      Yes please, Baldur - go for it! This visual archive is becoming more and more valuable by the day as it is added to by enthusiasts such as yourself.Amongst other benefits, it will surely lead to a great improvement in zoo building and exhibit design as interested parties can compare numerous examples for good ideas and for mistakes to avoid, and not just base their opinions on the few zoos they have been able to visit personally.
    • Baldur
      I love the place - it was a weekday so I had it almost for myself. I'm interested in zoo history so 'America's First Zoo' was something to see.
    • Baldur
      Philadelphia Zoo – Small Mammal House – Diurnal Wing

Starting on the right side of the corridor after entering through the south entrance.

Degu
      Long-tailed Chinchilla
      Short-eared Elephant Shrew
      Golden Mouse
      Merriam's Kangaroo Rat
      Open-top exhibit for Hoffman's Two-toed Sloth and Brazilian Agouti

Turning to the other side of the corridor and walking back towards the south entrance

Open-top exhibit for Aardvark and Meerkat
      Pigmy Hedgehog Tenric
      African Hedgehog
      Pigmy Marmoset
      Madagascar Giant Jumping Rat
      Least Shrew
      Common Tree Shrew
    • Baldur
      Philadelphia Zoo – Small Mammal House - Nocturnal Wing

Not all of these animals were seen. I had toured the small mammal house earlier in the day but only returned to take notes once I had seen the whole zoo; by which time the house was about to close, so all I could do was to note down quickly what was labelled, no matter if I then managed to see it with my own eyes or not.

Pigmy Loris
      Madagascar Giant Jumping Rat
      Stripped Possum
      Feathertail Glider
      Sugar Glider mixed with Short-beaked Echidna
      African Striped Weasel
      Vampire Bat
    • tigris115
      It looks like a hallway in a school
    • European Fauna
      It does indeed look like a school corridor - you would almost expect to see the Simpson children here!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Philadelphia Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Baldur
    Date:
    15 Dec 2010
    View Count:
    Comment Count: