Join our zoo community
blospz

phillyzoo 050

phillyzoo 050
blospz, 17 Mar 2011
    • gerenuk
      This is the former white rhino exhibit?
    • blospz
      You're probably right. It 'd make sense as there was already a pool in the area and the white rhino and zebras have a divider between them until they get to know each other better.
    • fkalltheway
      Yes, based on the plan this is where the White Rhino used to be, and then after they moved the rhino in with the zebra this is where the ostrich used to be.

And I'm not sure there already was a pool here, unless it was a long time ago. The front of the exhibit prior to the construction looked like this: http://www.zoochat.com/837/philadelphia-zoo-2010-ostrich-african-plaines-192621/

EDIT: After searching through some pictures on here I guess there was a pool in the front of the exhibit, I just never have seen it filled. http://www.zoochat.com/837/ostrich-exhibit-177654/
    • snowleopard
      No matter how much of an improvement the new hippo exhibit is it is tough to compete with the best hippo habitats in North America without underwater viewing opportunities. These zoos all have hippo enclosures with underwater viewing: Busch Gardens, Saint Louis, Sedgwick County, San Diego, Toledo, Disney's Animal Kingdom, San Antonio and Calgary. In the past few years I've visited 7 out of the 8 zoos that I listed (Busch Gardens being the exception) and in my opinion perhaps the best hippo viewing is found at Saint Louis Zoo. Next year Memphis Zoo can be added to that list to make it 9 zoos with underwater viewing of river hippos in North America. Did I miss anyone?
    • reduakari
      There is a smaller zoo in Texas (Lufkin?) that has underwater viewing, and if you include pygmy hippos Lincoln Park and Omaha also qualify. I think Busch Gardens is the best, although St. Louis, San Diego, DAK and Toledo are all quite good.
    • team tapir
      Milwaukee also has underwater viewing but not as good as some of the others mentioned.Although we are slightly biased going to have to go with Toledo as the best and after all it is the original.Considering how much older it is than the others it really holds its own.

Team Tapir
    • snowleopard
      @team tapir: Milwaukee County Zoo has underwater hippo viewing? Are you sure? Also, the first of its kind for hippos is not Toledo but actually Sedgwick County Zoo which at one time was the first in the world.

@reduakari: since you mentioned pygmy hippos doesn't San Diego's exhibit for that species include underwater viewing? Also, Louisville has an excellent pygmy hippo habitat with underwater viewing as well.
    • team tapir
      @snowleopard we have not been to Milwaukee since summer of 09 at which time work had begun on a new hippo exhibit that was to include underwater viewing.I was assuming it was done by now,but maybe plans changed on that exhibit.As far as Toledo goes I always thought it was the original Hippoquarium.Oh well it still very good I been to the exhibits at Busch Gardens,SDZ, and St Louis and like Toledo exhibit the most.

Team Tapir
    • snowleopard
      North American zoos/aquariums with underwater viewing of river hippos:

1- Saint Louis Zoo
      2- San Diego Zoo
      3- Toledo Zoo
      4- San Antonio Zoo
      5- Calgary Zoo
      6- Disney’s Animal Kingdom
      7- Sedgwick County Zoo
      8- Busch Gardens
      9- Granby Zoo
      10- Adventure Aquarium
      11- Memphis Zoo (2012?)
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Philadelphia Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    blospz
    Date:
    17 Mar 2011
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    258.9 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/4.0
    Make:
    Panasonic
    Model:
    DMC-FZ40
    Date / Time:
    2011:03:15 10:37:27
    Exposure Time:
    10/1000 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 80
    Focal Length:
    9.2 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).