Join our zoo community
Chlidonias

Pigmy Hog (Porcula salvania)

adult male, photo taken February 2014 at the breeding centre at Nameri National Park, where there are currently twelve pigmy hogs (I saw two pairs and a baby). The main breeding centre is at Basistha near Guwahati where (according to the information at Nameri) there are between 60 and 70 pigmy hogs and from which 10 to 15 animals are released every year. At Nameri there is also a large pre-release pen in which the Basistha animals get used to living semi-wild before release at Manas National Park. Some have been released at Nameri as well, despite it probably never having been part of pigmy hog range and the park not having the right sort of habitat; it does not appear any of those released at Nameri survived.

Pigmy Hog (Porcula salvania)
    • Chlidonias
      adult male, photo taken February 2014 at the breeding centre at Nameri National Park, where there are currently twelve pigmy hogs (I saw two pairs and a baby).

The main breeding centre is at Basistha near Guwahati where (according to the information at Nameri) there are between 60 and 70 pigmy hogs and from which 10 to 15 animals are released every year. At Nameri there is also a large pre-release pen in which the Basistha animals get used to living semi-wild before release at Manas National Park. Some have been released at Nameri as well, despite it probably never having been part of pigmy hog range and the park not having the right sort of habitat; it does not appear any of those released at Nameri survived.
    • TeaLovingDave
      Bet you have missed the following words: you lucky, lucky bastard :p
    • Chlidonias
      jeje, I have missed those words! This has to be my favourite little piggy species.

You should cross your fingers for Jersey getting them.
    • zoomaniac
      Great picture of an animal I unfortunately missed to take as it was exhibited at Zoo Zurich (I'm so envious too).
    • gentle lemur
      Oh my ears and whiskers!

Alan
    • Chlidonias
      everyone likes pigmy hogs :)
    • Pertinax
      Any more takers for those who have seen Pygmy Hogs?:D
    • TeaLovingDave
      The real question is, has anyone seen both Pigmy Hog and Pygmy Hog? :D
    • Bele
      I saw them at Zurich years ago !
    • IanRRobinson
      Just how easy would it be to export Pigmy Hogs from India to Europe (or anywhere else, for that matter?). It would surely be advisable to disperse some animals elsewhere.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    India - Other
    Uploaded By:
    Chlidonias
    Date:
    13 Mar 2014
    View Count:
    Comment Count: