Join our zoo community
TinoPup

Pittsburgh Zoo - View of elephants from window

Pittsburgh Zoo - View of elephants from window
TinoPup, 25 Dec 2020
    • Sarus Crane
      Can the elephants walk right up to the window? Any bulls or all cows? Which animals were out and which ones weren't? Are there certain ones you can't see regardless? I'm excited to see the elephants, Black Rhinos and Blue Monkeys if I go there.
      TinoPup likes this.
    • TinoPup
      @Sarus Crane Indoors yes, they can. I think they have one bull? No clue on which animals I saw on my visits, I'm not much of an elephant person.

I've never seen the rhinos on my visits, the yard is always empty.
      Sarus Crane likes this.
    • TinoPup
      @Sarus Crane Or do you mean in general, what species were out?
      Sarus Crane likes this.
    • Sarus Crane
      @TinoPup Yes, species that would typically be outside in warmer months. I'm particularly interested in seeing the black rhinos, nyalas, and masai giraffes. I know that the elephants should be viewable indoors if its too cold outside and the primates regardless are indoors. Both lions and amur tigers should be out nonetheless. I also saw that apparently, they have Tomistomas (False Gharial) so I'm really excited about seeing those! :D
    • TinoPup
      @Sarus Crane If your visit is in December, you're not going to see much :( Unless it's a particularly warm day, no ungulates will be out, and only the elephants have indoor viewing. *Maybe* zebra and giraffe will be out. Warty pigs in Islands have indoor viewing as well, but condensation is a major issue.

Lions, tigers, and leopard may or may not be out, and they can be difficult to see depending on where they are. Cheetahs don't mind the cold either, but they do have indoor viewing at one end. Like the warty pigs, the cloudeds in Islands have indoor viewing but are difficult to see because of the condensation.

Tomistoma are a summer species, their exhibit is outside (applies to all croc species they have). The only herps you'll see are the couple of snakes (mostly rattlers) and lizards in Worlds of Discovery (which also has bats, meerkats, and one fish tank with freshwater species). I have photos of every species in the gallery. There's also Komodos at the beginning of the zoo, which have indoor viewing (it's just a rectangular room with nothing in it). The red pandas next to them also have indoor viewing.

All primates have indoor viewing, the only ones with any outdoor space at all are the gorillas and siamangs, both of which have indoor space (siamangs are over in The Islands... more condensation issues).

You'll see the sea lions, likely in both exhibits. The polar bear often isn't out due to her age and chooses where she wants to be, and the sea otters often aren't out.

Jungle Odyssey will be closed, and Kids Kingdom (most of the American species) will likely be closed as well, due to potential ice (it's almost all boardwalk/dirt). You'll see the canada lynx, which are the first exhibit in the zoo. Unless they're hiding :)
      Sarus Crane likes this.
    • TinoPup
      Animals I saw outside in December:
      Canada lynx
      Amur tiger, briefly
      Amur leopard
      Cheetah
      California sea lion x2
      Donkey
      Sarus Crane likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium
    Uploaded By:
    TinoPup
    Date:
    25 Dec 2020
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    3.5 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    4032px
    Height:
    2268px
    Aperture:
    f/1.7
    Make:
    samsung
    Model:
    SM-G955U
    Date / Time:
    2020:12:02 09:42:51
    Exposure Time:
    1/24 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 200
    Focal Length:
    4.25 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).