Join our zoo community
Toddy

Planckendael - Africa (Bonobo Island)

The outdoor island for bonobos (Pan paniscus) in the African Area in Planckendael. A 3000 m2 large and very green island with a few climbing frames spread around. There are also many shrubberies with small trees and large bushes spread around the island that the bonobos have full access to (except for one large tree that is hotwired). Planckendael, July 2011.

Planckendael - Africa (Bonobo Island)
Toddy, 11 Dec 2011
    • Toddy
      The outdoor island for bonobos (Pan paniscus) in the African Area in Planckendael. A 3000 m2 large and very green island with a few climbing frames spread around. There are also many shrubberies with small trees and large bushes spread around the island that the bonobos have full access to (except for one large tree that is hotwired).

Planckendael, July 2011.
    • snowleopard
      @Toddy: I am thankful that you are once again uploading photos onto ZooChat, and I understand that you wish to receive many comments so that you will continue to add photos to this website. Hopefully you receive a lot of comments, and I don't think that photos that someone makes a remark on are ever purged so you might be in luck!

The indoor bonobo house seems average (but with many climbing frames) while the outdoor exhibit is certainly quite spacious and green. "What Zoos Can Do" lists the bonobos as one of the highlights of the zoo, and would you agree with that statement?
    • Toddy
      Thanks for the comments @snowleopard. I figured you would be one of the first on the scene ;)

Like I have mentioned on some of the other photos the indoor bonobo exhibit is not very aesthetically pleasing but very functional and it does seem to promote a very active group of bonobos and as a visitor you can often see them jumping about in their climbing frames at eye level. The island could do with some more climbing frames but it is well planted ensuring that neither bonobos nor visitors can see the whole island at once. It is definitely one of the major highlights!

Looking at these photos actually got me thinking: Even though this exhibit is great it is still not in the top 3 of the 10 bonobo exhibits in Europe. To me this is an indicator that the quality of bonobo exhibits in Europe is generally quite high. I have personally seen 8 of them and feel confident in giving them something of a rating (in no particular order):

Great exhibits
      Leipzig Zoo (Germany)
      Frankfurt Zoo (Germany)
      Apenheul (The Netherlands)
      La Vallée de Singes (France)

Good exhibits
      Planckendael (Belgium)
      Cologne Zoo (Germany)

Substandard exhibits
      Berlin Zoo (Germany)
      Wilhelma (Germany) (Opening new exhibit in 2012)
      Wuppertal (Germany)
      Twycross (UK)
    • Cat-Man
      hi toddy, i'm very much enjoying these photo's of Planckendael Zoo. I believe it is the national zoo of Belgium?

Also, i thought you had stopped uploading photo's too zoochat ;)
    • Toddy
      Actually it is just called Planckendael (formerly Planckendael Dierenpark). And I don't think you can say that Belgium has a "national zoo". However, Planckendael together with its sister zoo Antwerpen ZOO in the KMDA (Royal Zoological Society of Antwerp) are certainly the most established and well renowned of the Belgian zoos (of which there aren't many). They are also the only two Belgian members of WAZA.

Well, I am attempting a sort of "comeback" as you can read here :p
    • Cat-Man
      Ahh, thanks toddy, I only asked if it was the National zoo because when I googled 'Brussels Zoo' this is what came up.

I'm glad you've decided to start uploading again, as I've missed your photo's of central european zoo's very much:). Now to upload all those photo's that missed out ;)
    • Shirokuma
      It's interesting that Brussels is one of the few major capitals in Europe not to have a zoo.
    • lintworm
      I think that Zoo Antwerpen can be seen as Belgiums National Zoo, at least so is it seen by many Belgian inhabitants.
    • Cat-Man
      ^however, as much as antwerp is the most famours and well established zoo in belgium, it is not located in or near the capital, so it is not the national zoo.

@Shirokuma, what other capitals can you think of that done have a zoo?
    • Tim May
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Planckendael
    Uploaded By:
    Toddy
    Date:
    11 Dec 2011
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    255.9 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1059px
    Height:
    706px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).