Join our zoo community
Bele

Plans for Elephant Eden

Plans for Elephant Eden
Bele, 27 Sep 2011
    • snowleopard
      I find it incredible that this entire venture, which allows elephants to have access to a whopping 15 acres, is going to be built for just over one million Euros. In the United States zoos such as Los Angeles, San Diego and National in Washington, D.C. all spent over $40 million on new elephant exhibits in recent years. This Noah's Ark "sanctuary" must be nothing but typical British fields surrounded by massive steel poles, with zero immersion or naturalistic elements. It sounds more than adequate for elephants, but where are the animals going to be sourced from?
    • Arizona Docent
      Elephant Eden? Looks more like an elephant golf course to me.

(Still it is better than sticking them in a small dirt plot like too many zoos do).
    • zoogiraffe
      @ snowleopard I'm pretty sure that bazthezoobuilder can mange to build it,for just over 1 million,given the high quality exhibits that have already been built,at this fine example of how to do things the farmers way!

@ Arizona Docent personnaly I think this place would be better off opening a golf course,than ever keeping Elephants.
    • hantslad
      Elephant Eden

Will also be interesting to see where they get there experienced elephant keeper,s from, and not really think they need the amount of staff that they say they are intending to have.
    • adrian1963
      Good luck I say as already pointed out too many UK zoos think elephants live in deserts with a few tree trunks and a pool of waterjust look at (Chester and Twycross for examples)

I was always under the impression that elephants came from grass lands with trees and a water hole or am I wrong.

I know we will have the excuses from the everything at Chester is the best brigade but come on elephants don't live in deserts
    • Bele
      I was interested to see that the elephants , that it seems they might have already identified , would be breeding age animals . Meaning that this is not planned to be a 'retirement home' like Longleat .
    • Animal
    • Yassa
      The elephant area in Terra Natura is certainly not 15 acres, not even all 4 former enclosures combined. But the paddock in Cabarceno has 20 hectars (at least 50 acres), so "elephant eden" will clearly not be the largest elephant habitat in Europe. What I find really misleading is that they promote this as "sanctuary", that sounds like they would like to provide a home for resuced elephants from circusses and problem elephants from zoos that don`t fit into breeding herds. But what they seem to want is nothing different then what a lot of zoos do, taking a few related females, a bull and start breeding. Which may never happen since females in breeding age are in high demand and I can`t see that the asian elephant EEP will send some to a place with such a questionable reputation.
    • hantslad
      Elephant Eden

Just looking at plan,s and the wording,public can watch them browze there woodland, best get there quick ! looking at the size of the wood, i would guess at the most it be gone in a week!.The orther comment migrate !around there enclosure, so they be walking round and round in circurls all day !!. I will watch with interest to see where they get there elephants from, be very surprised if any zoological park in Europe would provide any.
    • Hix
      Yes, you are. Some are found in grasslands with trees. Many are found in bushlands, woodlands and forests. Asian elephants are usually found in jungles.
      They do in Namibia.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Noah's Ark Zoo Farm
    Uploaded By:
    Bele
    Date:
    27 Sep 2011
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    193.3 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/4.8
    Make:
    Panasonic
    Model:
    DMC-TZ3
    Date / Time:
    2011:09:26 00:58:17
    Exposure Time:
    10/2500 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    23.1 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).