Join our zoo community
mhale

Polar Bear at Chessington Zoo c. 1970s

It is unknown whereabouts in the UK this photo was taken, but I think it was sometime in the 1970s. Does anyone recognise the enclosure?

Polar Bear at Chessington Zoo c. 1970s
mhale, 15 Feb 2009
felis silvestris likes this.
    • mhale
      It is unknown whereabouts in the UK this photo was taken, but I think it was sometime in the 1970s. Does anyone recognise the enclosure?
    • gentle lemur
      I think it's at Chessington. The enclosure would have been rather too small for penguins!

Alan
    • mhale
      Thank you for the information, Alan. The photo I have of the polar bear enclosure at Chessington in the late 1980s is quite different to this one. I presume they created a new enclosure at some point?
    • gentle lemur
      I don't know: I went to Chessington in 1972 and I haven't been back since. The photos that you have posted of the '80s pool look very different, but I don't know if it was a new pool or a revamp of the previous version.

Alan
    • Hix
      Wherever it was, that wall looks way to short!!!
    • mhale
      I have moved the photo to the Chessington gallery and renamed it.
    • lloyd200
      it looks like the polar bear enclosure at belle-vue zoo but check Parallels H-Sphere first but thats what i think
    • mhale
    • Nanook
      Yes it is 100% Chessington , the enclosure was redesigned and extended. Z
    • Nanook
      This enclosure originally ( c.1960s ) had a wrought iron barred frontage with curved spikes along that back wall. These were later removed by the time the photo was taken, the wall all the way round , but specifically at the front was indeed thought to be far too low , the male bear used to jump from the pool up the front wall to see how far he could get!! The enclosure was extended and redeveloped at least twice , viewing windows replaced the iron-work , later on those windows were extended along the left hand side to increase public viewing areas. After the last bears left in 1991 the whole thing was filled in and became an ornamental pond with a walk over bridge. The underview still remained but locked up. Then the underview area became the "Creepy Caves" reptile facility whilst the top was completely concreted over as a viewing / seating area. Z
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Chessington Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    mhale
    Date:
    15 Feb 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    75.5 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    665px
    Height:
    698px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).