Join our zoo community
Maguari

Polar Bear enclosure at Edinburgh Zoo 2008

Polar Bear enclosure at Edinburgh Zoo 2008
Maguari, 5 Jul 2008
    • Ituri
      That's the exhibit I hear all the complaining about? I mean it's not hardly adequate but sadly I've seen much, much worse.
    • Maguari
      I'm inclined to agree. It's not huge but it's quite well furnished and for a single bear it's fine. Not ideal, but OK.
    • snowleopard
      The famous Mercedes has an exhibit that is a million times better than any of the truly dreadful polar bear enclosures in many countries around the world. Japan has some downright shocking bear exhibits that are all concrete, steel bars and tiny pools.
    • epickoala123
      Mercedes left and went to HWP, but sadly died.

This exhibit has been re-furbished and Is now for two sun bears. This is exhibit is much better, and I believe bigger
    • FBBird
      Polar Bear enclosure

Can't remember where I heard this, but there was a story that Mercedes was incredibly laid-back & happy after her somewhat pushy mate died, because she had a panoramic view across Edinburgh -- Polar Bears in the wild can see for long distances, one of the reasons they stereotype badly in pits.
    • zooman
    • Pertinax
      Possibly coupled with the fact she may have been happier alone anyway- mature male and female Polar Bears don't associate together in the wild outside of mating times, yet in Zoos they are usually forced to do so.
    • DavidBrown
      What did they do with this exhibit when the polar bear died?
    • Maguari
      It was refurbished and expanded and now houses Malayan Sun Bears.

(in point of pedantic accuracy, the enclosure was vacated not by Mercedes' death but by her move to Edinburgh's 'country home' Highland Wildlife Park, where she later died)
      StoppableSan likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Edinburgh Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Maguari
    Date:
    5 Jul 2008
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    420.3 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/6.3
    Make:
    FUJIFILM
    Model:
    FinePix S7000
    Date / Time:
    2008:06:24 08:08:34
    Exposure Time:
    10/4000 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 400
    Focal Length:
    7.8 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).