Join our zoo community
NZ Jeremy

Polar Bear Exhibit

This is one of the original exhibits at the zoo... It was open for approximately 70 years and in that time only 1 cub survived to adulthood... Note the low fence which at least one bear escaped out of and was shot... It was later raised... One patron was also talked out of jumping into the enclosure by former director Derek Wood, the patron claimed she had 'powers' and could help heal one of the Bears... This photo is from the Early 1920's and was sourced from the book: A Tiger by the Tail by Derek Wood...

Polar Bear Exhibit
NZ Jeremy, 20 Jan 2008
    • NZ Jeremy
      This is one of the original exhibits at the zoo... It was open for approximately 70 years and in that time only 1 cub survived to adulthood...

Note the low fence which at least one bear escaped out of and was shot... It was later raised...

One patron was also talked out of jumping into the enclosure by former director Derek Wood, the patron claimed she had 'powers' and could help heal one of the Bears...

This photo is from the Early 1920's and was sourced from the book: A Tiger by the Tail by Derek Wood...
    • snowleopard
      Those 5 polar bears appear to be quite close to the public, and this certainly is an old-style enclosure. Interesting attention to detail in the background of the exhibit, as there are numerous icicles hanging down from "cave openings".
    • NZ Jeremy
      In the initial conception of the zoo the Polar Bears were to be the star attraction, they spent a large percentage of the original budget on their enclosure...
    • driftaguy
      Does anyone know what happened to the enclosure? According to some maps I compared, it is somewhere near where the pig enclosure is now.
    • zooboy28
      The enclosure is still there, although it doesn't look anything like this now. I think it closed in around 1992-1994, and I think I remember it being fenced off and filled up with rubbish for a time, before being filled to ground level, so now only the back wall is visible. The Critter Cottages that are hired out for kids birthday parties (between the cafe and red panda/porcupine enclosures) now occupy this space.
    • zooboy28
      Just a slightly depressing add-on, here is a photo of a regal and historic exhibit being used for the worst possible purpose (excepting, of course, the creatures it was designed for): a childrens' party area :eek:

The wooden fence follows the perimeter of the polar bear pit, while the ivy-covered wall at the back is now the only visible feature of one of Auckland Zoo's most important exhibits.
    • driftaguy
      Thanks for the reply :)
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Auckland Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    NZ Jeremy
    Date:
    20 Jan 2008
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    138.7 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    736px
    Height:
    498px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).