Join our zoo community
Maguari

Polecat (?) at Lakes Aquarium 2008

Labelled as European Polecat - but could be a wild-type-looking Ferret. Certainly very tame.

Polecat (?) at Lakes Aquarium 2008
Maguari, 26 Nov 2008
    • Maguari
      Labelled as European Polecat - but could be a wild-type-looking Ferret. Certainly very tame.
    • CiaranDUK
      Most likely a Polecat-Ferret rather than a pure Polecat.
    • hantslad
      Polecat?

There are very few true polecats about,not sure the name of the collection but one in north Devon did exhibit them a few yrs back,be interested to find out were this this animal came from. May be wrong but many yrs ago the Welsh Mountain Zoo had some.The true ones i have come across have always been a little on the wild side and could be handled but more of when it suited the polecat.
    • Zambar
      The New Forest Otter and Owl Park has some fairly pure looking polecats, and I know that Cotswold Widlife Park, Wildwood, the Chestnut Centre and the British Wildlife Centre hold some.
    • Maguari
      Having seen Chestnut's being handled, I'd have a few doubts about their purity both on tameness and colouration grounds.

Welsh Mountain's current animals look pretty pure, as do Cotswold's.
    • DavidBrown
      This looks like what we call "European ferrets" here in the US. I guess that you guys call them polecats? Are they commonly kept as pets in the UK and in Europe? They seem to be quite common over here, although illegal in California due to hazard that they could become an invasive species. I'm not aware that has actually happened though (yet) anywhere in North America.

Out of curiosity why would an aquarium have a polecat?
    • Maguari
      The wild form would be called 'European Polecat'; the domestic form are called 'ferrets'.

They're increasingly common here too. Unfortunately the same can't be said for their wild relatives.

It's themed on local waterlife, and has a small section of non-aquatic animals as well.
    • DavidBrown
      Thanks for the info Maguari. I we ever domesticated black-footed ferrets over here then we would probably call them polecats :rolleyes:

What are the threats to the survival of polecats? General conversion of their habitat to human uses?
    • Zambar
      It was mainly through extreme persecution from gamekeepers, eventually restricting most of the population to parts of Wales. Since it was given protection they seem to be making a steady recovery and are beginning to spread back through England, but being so hard to study it's hard to get the full picture
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Lakes Aquarium
    Uploaded By:
    Maguari
    Date:
    26 Nov 2008
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    211 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/8.0
    Make:
    FUJIFILM
    Model:
    FinePix S7000
    Date / Time:
    2008:06:21 08:35:22
    Exposure Time:
    10/600 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 400
    Focal Length:
    18 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).