Join our zoo community
BeardsleyZooFan

Predators- Amur Leopard Exhibit Construction

May 11, 2013: The zoo started taking down the chain-link fencing.

Predators- Amur Leopard Exhibit Construction
BeardsleyZooFan, 11 May 2013
    • BeardsleyZooFan
      May 11, 2013: The zoo started taking down the chain-link fencing.
    • uszoo
      For a low budget renovation I am liking the way it is turning out. The back wall blends in better then I thought. Also the mesh will improve the viewing of the exhibit. They just need to add a few plants and some more logs and it will be a good enclousure. Also how many yards are the leopards going to have and how many are they going to aqquire?
    • BeardsleyZooFan
      The whole renovation is estimated to cost $150,000. I guess after some more work was done on the fake rocks and maybe some rain, it looks much less fake. Mesh will definitely be an improvement over this awful fence. I think some more climbing opportunities, at least in the second exhibit, will be added. I don't know the exact measurements but jbnsn99 estimated that the second exhibit was 28 feet by 28 feet or roughly 784 sq. feet, and this exhibit is about the same size. The zoo has already acquired the single female leopard from Saint Louis Zoo. Her name is Sophia, and they plan to AI her.
    • BeardsleyZooFan
    • Gulo gulo
      new mesh. it's not as chunky-looking as the old fencing. can even see it stretched a bit. good for CBZ. solid additions to the Zoo this year. definitely tops in N. E.
    • RockTheThought
      Went to CBZ last week and was actually quite impressed with the exhibit renovation. The new fencing is less of an eyesore than the previous chain link, and the naturalistic holding area turned out nicely. They were in the process of adding plants to the exhibit on Friday and was told that the plan is to have the leopard on exhibit within a week to 10 days.

What I hope is that they can break ground on the right-hand exhibit as soon as possible in order to give her a little more space. If that turns out as nicely as the left-hand side, it could turn become a pretty solid part of the zoo.

I was also excited to hear that the zoo is expecting (fingers crossed) to get a substantial grant/bond to improve the rainforest building's roof, renovate the kitchen area, and work towards the future Pampas Plains exhibit. If all goes according to plan, it should be the start of an exciting time at Beardsley!
    • BeardsleyZooFan
      Good to hear about your visit. It's awesome that they started plantings in the exhibit, and even more awesome to hear about the leopard going on exhibit really soon!
      I wish they added another climbing structure to the right exhibit. Oh yeah, they're slowly working on an Asian zone at the zoo, so this leopard exhibit is kicking things off.
      I heard about most of the stuff you mentioned, but it's good to hear that they're still focusing on the roof and renovating the kitchen area, as I haven't heard about those projects in a while. And with Dromedary Camels as a temporary exhibit and Mexican Gray Wolves coming soon, it should be an awesome year!
      Gulo gulo- Thanks for confirming that this is the new mesh. Hopefully the rest of chain-link enclosures in the zoo will be replaced. That's one of Dancho's ambitions before he retires from the zoo.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Connecticut's Beardsley Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    BeardsleyZooFan
    Date:
    11 May 2013
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    437.4 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/2.9
    Make:
    OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP.
    Model:
    SP810UZ,SP815UZ
    Date / Time:
    2013:05:10 23:28:08
    Exposure Time:
    1/30 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 64
    Focal Length:
    4.3 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).