Join our zoo community
BeardsleyZooFan

Predators- New Amur Leopard Exhibit

July 9, 2013: The Amur Leopard exhibit opened on July 2nd, but the leopard, Sofiya, has barely gone outside her air-conditioned cave since then.

Predators- New Amur Leopard Exhibit
BeardsleyZooFan, 9 Jul 2013
    • BeardsleyZooFan
      July 9, 2013: The Amur Leopard exhibit opened on July 2nd, but the leopard, Sofiya, has barely gone outside her air-conditioned cave since then.
    • uszoo
      Looks pretty good but still needs more areas to climb for these animals. I like how the plants are allowed to grow wild as it makes it more naturalistic. Also the mesh looks good compared to the old fencing. Is the single female allowed in both habitats or is she restricted to one? It looks like the fence on the other habitat was not replaced. Also will the zoo get any more leopards or just stay at the current number of 1?
    • BeardsleyZooFan
      I would like some more climbing areas, but I hope Sofiya can climb on her cave/holding area. The grass and other plants have indeed grown nicely. The mesh here allows for easier viewing, and I was disappointed when I found out that mesh wasn't used for the other habitat, but at least one habitat uses it. The zoo won't acquire any more leopards for now, as they plan to AI her eventually.
    • Brum
      This looks okay to me, rather than more climbing oppurtunities I'd prefer to see denser vegetation. I guess that will come as the exhibit matures though.
    • ThylacineAlive
      For now she's restricted to this one as construction really hasn't begun on the other yet but I believe both will eventually be accessible by her.

This exhibit actually came out really nicely. I had my doubts on how it would turn out at the beginning but am pleased at how well the zoo has done so far and am happy to admit that I was wrong and that I underestimated the zoo when it came to this project. I especially like that the night housing building is made to look like rocks and that she can climb it. I only wish that they could have gotten glass viewing but the mesh is good enough for now.

~Thylo:cool:
    • BeardsleyZooFan
      I don't know... I don't think they went to the trouble of planting the second exhibit just yet if she couldn't access it. But you might be right.
      EDIT: I believe ThylacineAlive is correct, because the other exhibit has a sign that says "Under Construction."
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Connecticut's Beardsley Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    BeardsleyZooFan
    Date:
    9 Jul 2013
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    540.4 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/2.9
    Make:
    OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP.
    Model:
    SP810UZ,SP815UZ
    Date / Time:
    2013:07:08 21:37:02
    Exposure Time:
    1/250 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 64
    Focal Length:
    4.3 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).