Join our zoo community
Zooish

Proboscis Monkey exhibit

Proboscis Monkey exhibit
Zooish, 5 May 2018
Ituri, UngulateNerd92, KevinB and 6 others like this.
    • Zooish
      The Proboscis Monkey exhibit near the Zoo's entrance was recently re-landscaped. It now houses a breeding group of Proboscis Monkeys, Indian Muntjac, Oriental Pied Hornbill, Painted Terrapin, Asian Arowana, Clown Loach and Bala Shark.
      StoppableSan likes this.
    • PAT
      This is one of my favourite exhibits anywhere in the world.
      snowleopard likes this.
    • JigerofLemuria
      Lovely enclosure. I remember them from my visit so many years ago. :)
    • Vision
      Is this the same breeding group that was previously in the enclosure close to Fragile Forests? If so, did the full male group previously in this exhibit move to the other exhibit or have some gone off-show?

Either way, it looks excellent! The terrapins are a nice addition, and the new plants give it a very clean look.
    • Zooish
      @Vision No, this is a different breeding group that was previously kept off show. Most of the male group was sent to Apenheul but unfortunately did not survive (one that survived was sent back to Singapore). The other proboscis monkey exhibit now houses 3 old females.
      StoppableSan and Vision like this.
    • Vision
      @Zooish when I visited in July 2016 (so after the last Dutch proboscis returned) a guide told me the male group in this enclosure still consisted of 6 males, that had 'divided' themselves into two groups, one of 2 animals and the other of 4. According to him the 2 groups would switch between the on-show enclosure and an off-show enclosure behind it by themselves.

I assume that those 6 males either passed away or moved off-show, or the guide I talked to had incorrect information? I saw 2 males in this enclosure when I visited, so I can't confirm nor deny his statement about the 6 males still being present in two smaller groups.
    • Zooish
      @Vision It sounds suspiciously like the guide was using the "old script" from before the export to Apenheul, but i could be wrong.
      Vision likes this.
    • Cat-Man
      This exhibit looks absolutely wonderful.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Singapore Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Zooish
    Date:
    5 May 2018
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    7.9 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    5184px
    Height:
    3456px
    Aperture:
    f/5.0
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS 700D
    Date / Time:
    2018:05:05 11:38:46
    Exposure Time:
    1/60 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    18 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).