Join our zoo community
Arizona Docent

puma sign (glaring mistake)

September 22-23, 2019

puma sign (glaring mistake)
Arizona Docent, 29 Sep 2019
    • Arizona Docent
      The bullet points on the top half are clearly for a different species. It says they live near water in dense tropical forests in South America (only - not North America) and eat aquatic plants, melons, squash. Their puma has two connecting exhibits (formerly for jaguar) and the sign in front of the other half is correct (they eat deer and porcupines etc, live in North and South America, etc). It is clear to me what happened here. The signs have a uniform design throughout the zoo and it is clear they use a computer template and replace words in the template as needed. When they made this sign, they forgot to replace the wording in the top template. Any guesses which animal that part actually describes?
    • Arizona Docent
      Not to mention the Latin name should now be Puma concolor and not Felis concolor.

Also regarding longevity, I noticed on the other cats (snow leopard, ocelot, etc) they routinely list 21 years. That is the absolute outside span possible for a captive animal. Most captive animals live a few years less and the average for wild animals would be half that. They make no indication of this which is quite misleading.
    • amur leopard
      I would guess the template species was an agouti or capybara.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    ABQ BioPark Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Arizona Docent
    Date:
    29 Sep 2019
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    755.8 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1304px
    Aperture:
    f/7.1
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D850
    Date / Time:
    2019:09:23 08:22:42
    Exposure Time:
    10/16000 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 800
    Focal Length:
    100 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).