Join our zoo community
GregOz

Purple-Faced Langur

After many years of looking and what will possibly be one of my final zoo visits as a Singapore resident, I finally saw her.

Purple-Faced Langur
GregOz, 4 Nov 2022
Pigeon, Ituri, Joker1706 and 21 others like this.
    • UngulateNerd92
      Remind me, how many Purple-faced langurs (Trachypithecus vetulus) are currently kept at Singapore Zoo? Also, did they come in the same shipment or at the same time as their Yellow-striped chevrotains (Moschiola kathygre)? All from Colombo Zoo?
    • Nix
      Stunning animal, certainly one of my favorite langur species.
      Will hopefully be able to see them at Eventieria Wildlife Park this December :D
    • GregOz
      @UngulateNerd92i understand there is only the one elderly female remaining at the zoo.
    • UngulateNerd92
      @GregOz ok thank you. Do you know when the zoo first acquired them or where the founder stock came from? or nothing beyond information about the remaining animal?
    • UngulateNerd92
      @Nix absolutely! I don't blame you. Aren't there some in captivity in South Africa already, if so, where are they kept? Also, didn't the current stock from South Africa come from the United Kingdom?
    • Nix
      @UngulateNerd92 Indeed, all the male Purple-faced langurs in South Africa originate from stock imported from Cotswold, and the females from unknown origins.
      Induna Primate and parrot Park were the ones to import the original animals, Eventieria Wildlife Park keeps a single female named Porsha (presumably from Induna), and Monkeyland keeps a hybrid langur which clearly has some purple-faced in him.
      Unfortunately, Induna is completely private, and I haven't even found a way to possibly contact them to arrange a visit. An utter shame seeing as they have imported some animals that can't be seen elsewhere in South Africa, such as Sulawesi black Macaques.
    • Chlidonias
      @UngulateNerd92 - CITES Database: imports to Singapore listed are 5 in 1999, 3 in 2000, and 1 in 2006, all from Sri Lanka, and 1 in 2007 from the UK (but originating in Australia). Interestingly there are also some exports from Singapore to the UK listed, with 5 animals in 2007 (three of which are listed as having originated in Sri Lanka), suggesting there was a swap of individuals between Singapore and UK in that year.

@Nix - South Africa has only three animals listed as being imported, all in 2011 and all from the UK with one animal noted as originating in Sri Lanka (so not one of the Australian exports to UK, or a UK-bred animal - most likely one of the 2007 Singapore animals).
    • Nix
      @Chlidonias Appreciate the information, do Purple-faced langurs readily breed in captivity, and if so, what caused there phase-out in Europe?
    • UngulateNerd92
    • UngulateNerd92
      @Nix I don't have all the details as to their situation in North American zoos (where they are no longer present) and how or why they died out, however the last ones in North America, I remember were at the Baton Rouge Zoo in Baton Rouge, East Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana in the early 1990s.
      Nix likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Singapore Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    GregOz
    Date:
    4 Nov 2022
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    1.5 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1240px
    Height:
    1860px
    Aperture:
    f/6.3
    Make:
    SONY
    Model:
    ILCE-7C
    Date / Time:
    2022:11:01 10:49:47
    Exposure Time:
    1/3200 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 10000
    Focal Length:
    231.2 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).