Join our zoo community
Julio C Castro

Purple Honeycreeper

Drinking occasionally with other honeycreepers in Hidden Jungle

Purple Honeycreeper
Julio C Castro, 12 Dec 2019
    • Great Argus
      This is the same species that was kept in the now-closed hummingbird house at the zoo. Nice to see they kept the species on display, if at the safari park.
    • Julio C Castro
      @Great Argus I heard of the hummingbird house and I think I read that it may be reopening next year, possibly with the opening of the Children’s Zoo in 2021 :) It was such a striking bird!
      Great Argus likes this.
    • Great Argus
      @Julio C Castro They are beautiful, I hope they return to the new hummingbird house as well. Also hoping the tanagers and Golden-collared Manakins return in the new house.
    • Julio C Castro
      @Great Argus if it does open next year, I will have my new camera setup and want to photograph the hummingbirds! I don’t know why but I’ve noticed from my photographs I’ve taken that birds come out so well and they interact with one another wonderfully in aviaries.
      Great Argus likes this.
    • Great Argus
      Indeed, they really do. I thoroughly enjoy San Diego's aviaries in particular. :)
    • Julio C Castro
      @Great Argus they are amazing aviaries, my favorite of the whole bunch would be the Africa Rocks aviary due to the openness and constantly being able to see most of the birds without heavy vegetation :)
      Great Argus likes this.
    • Great Argus
      @Julio C Castro I like that aviary for the same reason! Owens and Scripps can be tricky to find the more secretive species with all the space and heavier vegetation. Particularly the access to the tall trees; it's great for the birds but makes some of them tough to see!
    • Julio C Castro
      @Great Argus I kept thinking the same thing when I visited last month, they are great aviaries with wonderful vegetation but admittedly hard to see all the bird species indicated. At Africa Rocks, I was able to see about half or maybe more that were indicated by signs :) One of the key exhibits for Africa Rocks!
      Great Argus likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    San Diego Zoo Safari Park
    Uploaded By:
    Julio C Castro
    Date:
    12 Dec 2019
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    662.3 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    2880px
    Height:
    2160px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).