Join our zoo community
Nadchew_

Pygmy hippo exhibit

The former warthog exhibit (that also used to house red river hogs at one point) has been refigured to house 1 pygmy hippo. There are now 3 exhibits to see pygmy hippos

Pygmy hippo exhibit
Nadchew_, 27 Jul 2022
    • Nadchew_
      The former warthog exhibit (that also used to house red river hogs at one point) has been refigured to house 1 pygmy hippo. There are now 3 exhibits to see pygmy hippos
    • noobmaster69
      My guess is this pygmy hippo may be a surplus individual that'll leave the zoo later on but idk. The other 2 pygmy hippo enclosures aren't the biggest but this is way too small, although there might be more space at the back
    • Kestrel
      As far as I know Singapore has had a constant stream of births, leading to a pretty large group, they might be just trying to house more on display but you never know. Could possibly be temporary, since according to ztl both the zoo and night safari house red river hogs. As of 2012 they had 6 hippos I'm sure they have much more now.
    • Zooish
      This exhibit provides an additional space for the Zoo's 2.3 pygmy hippos; all 5 hippos can be on exhibit now rather than be confined to the (rather small) BOH areas. It also addresses the shortcomings of the other 2 exhibits which have more water than land area.
      Nadchew_ likes this.
    • Kestrel
      I expected Singapore to have quite a few more, but that exhibit looks very good and hopefully it will suit them well.
    • noobmaster69
      From what I've been able to find, these are their pygmy hippos so far, others might know more and this is definitely incomplete:

Divo (m): June 2009 - Babu x Minah
      Psota (f): 2009-2010?? - ?? x ??
      Abina (f): Nov 2017 - Minah x ???
      Miata (f): Feb 2021 - Divo x Psota
      Minah (f) ???
      Nadchew_ likes this.
    • StoppableSan
      Honestly, not a bad use of the space!
      Nadchew_ likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Singapore Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Nadchew_
    Date:
    27 Jul 2022
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    7 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    3840px
    Height:
    2592px
    Aperture:
    f/1.8
    Make:
    HUAWEI
    Model:
    ELS-NX9
    Date / Time:
    2022:07:27 15:27:09
    Exposure Time:
    10000000/1000000000 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 50
    Focal Length:
    4.4 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).