Shirokuma

Pygmy hippo

The pygmy hippo pair have been moved into the former tiger enclosure

Pygmy hippo
Shirokuma, 17 Mar 2013
    • Shirokuma
      The pygmy hippo pair have been moved into the former tiger enclosure
    • Pertinax
      London Zoo reminds me of musical chairs sometimes...:) but this seems to work okay as a temporary home. Can they access the water/pool okay?
    • Shirokuma
      The pool was drained when I was there yesterday but it looked like access would be fine.

I think there might have been issues along the side of the enclosure facing the lawns - it's quite rocky there and although logs have been placed to form some kind of barrier, I think they might need more or to level it out a bit with wood chips or similar stuff.
    • Pacu
      Clearly they don't need a netted roof to stop them jumping out but I think think this enclosure could work quite well for them - at least as summer quarters.
    • pipaluk
      I agree, having seen them in there a few weeks ago, they seemed quite at home, it was strange to get so close to one when it pressed its nose against the glass. Its probably a much better enclosure than the small yard they had outside the Casson, but i hope this does prove to be a temporary arrangement, i'm hoping to see some new carnivores here, once the hippos are able to move to the Cottons as planned.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    ZSL London Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Shirokuma
    Date:
    17 Mar 2013
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    465.7 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/2.4
    Make:
    Apple
    Model:
    iPhone 4S
    Date / Time:
    2013:03:17 13:54:23
    Exposure Time:
    1/30 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 50
    Focal Length:
    4.28 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).