jacks zoo

Raccoons Folly Farm

Raccoons Folly Farm
jacks zoo, 21 Apr 2009
Hammy and mrcriss like this.
    • snowleopard
      Interesting junkyard theme.
    • James27
      It's actually mine, I thought it was good as it offered lots of enrichment.
    • foz
      this is a really interesting enclosure and i personally like it. the junkyard ofers the raccoons plenty o enrichment and things to do
    • reduakari
      I rest my case:

You guys (and/or ladies) just don't have any taste.....

No personal insult intended. It's simply a verified truth, as evidenced by the reaction to this and other photos.

Remarkable.....
    • James27
      You can't say someone has no taste just because it doesn't coincide with yours. I bet you've kept a hamster in a plastic tank with multi coulored tubes not at all resembling Syria.
      Again, surely the animal's would be better off in this as it has loads of enrichment than your average island with a few dead trees? This also looks interesting to the public, what's wrong with it in your opinion?
      BTW, I meant to say it's actually amine in my above post, not that I own this exhibit lol.
    • reduakari
      Okay, I'll admit there is a difference: this exhibit was DESIGNED to look like a junkyard, as opposed to the many others we've been discussing that just LOOK like junkyards. I'm sure the raccoons enjoy it.

Last I checked common hamsters were domesticated animals....and raccoons were not.
    • Zambar
      Still makes no difference IMO. I'm sure you'd complain if you saw llamas in a concrete yard.
    • Maguari
      Not sure how anyone's not meant to take that as personal insult, if I'm honest.

And as we're dealing with opinions here, I fail to see how anything in this discussion can be a 'verified truth'.

Other than the fact that you personally don't like the aesthetic approach, what is wrong with this exhibit? You haven't actually said. I'm sorry to pick apart your posts two days running, but you seem to be taking quite a forthright approach to your criticism so I hope you appreciate some debate! :)
    • reduakari
      "What's wrong with this exhibit?"

It is ugly (verifiably--LOOK AT THE PHOTO!!!!!), and therefore IMO disrespectful both to the animals confined within it and the people subjected to viewing it. The latter is less of a concern as it appears that many of the people on this site are not offended by schlocky, crap design when it comes to zoo exhibits. However, it demeans the animals, just as sticking a Rembrandt on the wall of a men's lavatory might.

Certainly the raccoons could care less, and at least in this exhibit the animal's basic needs for shade, varied substrate, activity and vertical space are somewhat met. But like the broken record I seem to have to be, Zoos exist to create experiences for people, not just house animals. Animal captivity, whether for "rescue" humanitarian purposes or for conservation breeding, is a totally different thing from the EXHIBITION of animals, which should incorporate educational and, yes, aesthetic considerations beyond simply keeping an animal alive and putatively "happy."
    • Toddy
      @reduakari: I am not saying that this is my idea of a perfect racoon exhibit, but isn't it educational in the way that it shows how racoons have a habit of making human settlements part of their environment?
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Folly Farm
    Uploaded By:
    jacks zoo
    Date:
    21 Apr 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    398 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/2.8
    Make:
    FUJIFILM
    Model:
    FinePix A350
    Date / Time:
    2008:01:03 00:36:57
    Exposure Time:
    10/5555 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 64
    Focal Length:
    5.8 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).