Join our zoo community
Chlidonias

Rafflesia keithii

at Poring Hot Springs, Sabah, Malysian Borneo, August 2009 [i]Rafflesia[/i] are the largest single blooms in the world. There are several species in southeast Asia, the largest of which is [i]Rafflesia arnoldi[/i] of Sumatra at about a metre across. The species in this photograph, [i]Rafflesia keithii[/i] is somewhat smaller, only about 40cm or so in diameter The blackened flower on the left is the last (now dead) bloom. On the flower on the right you can see several flies, attracted by the smell of rotting meat that the flower gives off - although I did not notice any stench, so perhaps my olfactory senses are faulty

Rafflesia keithii
Chlidonias, 28 Apr 2010
    • Chlidonias
      at Poring Hot Springs, Sabah, Malysian Borneo, August 2009

Rafflesia are the largest single blooms in the world. There are several species in southeast Asia, the largest of which is Rafflesia arnoldi of Sumatra at about a metre across. The species in this photograph, Rafflesia keithii is somewhat smaller, only about 40cm or so in diameter

The blackened flower on the left is the last (now dead) bloom. On the flower on the right you can see several flies, attracted by the smell of rotting meat that the flower gives off - although I did not notice any stench, so perhaps my olfactory senses are faulty
    • Maguari
      I visited Poring on a family holiday when I was younger - wonderful place. Didn't see any Rafflesia though - gonna need my jealous face again! :D
    • Chlidonias
      the thing with Rafflesia is that you just have to be there at the right time. I saw buds of R. arnoldi in Sumatra - and also the bud of an Amorphophallus titanum - but sadly missed seeing those flowers in actual bloom.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Malaysia - Wildlife
    Uploaded By:
    Chlidonias
    Date:
    28 Apr 2010
    View Count:
    Comment Count: