snowleopard

Range of the Jaguar

Dec 2008. Gorgeous jaguar pool.

Range of the Jaguar
snowleopard, 18 Dec 2008
    • snowleopard
      Dec 2008. Gorgeous jaguar pool.
    • BlackRhino
      This looks like a great exhibit, however judging from pictures I still think Woodlnd Park has the nicer jaguar exhibit. I dislike the use of temples and think it sort of ruins an exhibit which is probably why I like Woodland Park's so much better. Also Woodland Park's looked like it had much more real vegetation. Don't get me wrong this enclosure looks amazing but it does not top Woodland Park's jaguar cove.
    • okapikpr
      Dont worry all the vegetation is real in Jax's Jaguar pens.
    • BlackRhino
      Not just that, I think I just like Seattle's better anyways. I am really not a fan of temple exhibits like that because it takes the focus out of the animal, however this habitat does look great and I don't know if I would call them just "pens" because they look more like habitats.
    • snowleopard
      @BlackRhino: I tend to agree with you on the "ruined temple" approach to exhibits, as visitors love the design but it can take away from the animals inside. However, Jacksonville has probably the best jaguar enclosures in North America simply because there is a lot of space for the big cats to move around in the largest of the habitats. I also love the Woodland Park Zoo's jaguar cove (and see it twice a year), and the strong point of that smaller exhibit is that it is lush, overgrown with foliage, and at times next to impossible to find any of their two jaguars. Miami Metrozoo's brand new jaguar exhibits (there are two of them) are lushly planted but in my opinion far too small for such large and powerful cats.
    • BlackRhino
      I think though its more the quality of the space because Jacksonville Zoo's gorilla exhibit is very large, but the quality is not strong. I still think Woodland park has the better exhibit. You have to remember Woodland Park has two jaguars as oppose to six jaguars. Miami Metrozoo looks like it has a great jaguar exhibit but does it have an open top or is it a cage?
    • snowleopard
      Miami Metrozoo's brand new jaguar enclosures are both mesh cages, and I seem to remember them having enclosed roofs. I'll have to check when I review the photos again, but I felt that neither of them was truly big enough for the cats. Woodland Park is a great zoo for exhibit quality, and even though there are only about 1,100 animals at least most of the habitats are top notch.
    • BlackRhino
      Ahh I want to go to Woodland Park Zoo so bad. It sounds so good. Im my opinion its the quality of the exhibits that count rather than the quantity and it sounds like Woodland Park has great quality exhibits. I still think I would like Miami's jaguar exhibit, because Jacksonville has mesh too and their exhibits are nice.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens
    Uploaded By:
    snowleopard
    Date:
    18 Dec 2008
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    422.7 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/3.3
    Make:
    Panasonic
    Model:
    DMC-TZ5
    Date / Time:
    2008:12:04 10:24:19
    Exposure Time:
    10/4000 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 400
    Focal Length:
    4.7 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).