Join our zoo community
toto98

Red billed chough

Red billed chough
toto98, 14 Feb 2014
    • Rick J
      Fairly sure that's 'Gianna', we received her as a rescue from Italy.
    • toto98
      I remember this one was the only chough which didnĀ“t fly away when I was trying to get some pictures, because the rest of them just flew to the top and it was impossible to get a shot.
    • Hix
      Nice looking bird!
    • Pertinax
      They've just had one escape from the pairs in breeding aviaries. I don't think they are very hopeful of getting him back either.
    • Pertinax
      The Chough blog has been updated for April, but not May yet (they are very busy monitoring where the various Choughs are I believe;).)

I am wondering whether the released Choughs are managing to feed themselves completely now, or are still relying to a certain extent on the supplementary feeding. I can't find a contact for the Chough team to ask direct.

Maybe RickJ can help here?;) Either with information or a contact?
    • Rick J
      Hiya, I sure can! The choughs are still getting supplementary feeding for now.

Pertinax, would you mind PMing me your email please?

R
    • Pertinax
      Chough blog for May is up now and reports that 6 out of 8 birds in the release project are still doing well. The other two disappeared early on. No apparent recent sign of 'Arthur' the escaped bird from the Zoo either.

Four young have been successfully reared from the breeding pairs and presumably will join the release phase when ready.
    • Pertinax
      Chough blog is almost right up to date now. Six new birds bred this year have arrived from Paradise Park in Cornwall, and are being quarantined in the release Aviary, alongside/with the four handraised young that Durrell raised themselves, and which have already had several successful outings from the Aviary up until the new birds arrived. This has temporarily stopped as they now have to undergo quarantine along with the new birds.

The six free-ranging adults seem to be doing well too. Sixteen birds(six older, ten of this year's) in total in the release part of the project now.
    • Pertinax
      Jersey Choughs breed successfully.

From ther blog;

A pair of the released Choughs on Jersey's North Coast have successfully raised a chick to post-fledging stage. First breeding in the wild(or semi-wild?) on Jersey since circa 1920.

The handraised chick which was fostered to tame female 'Gianna' sadly died at the end of an operation to straighten a deformed leg bone. Another single chick has been handraised at the Park and since transferred to the release aviary on the coast. Another batch of parent-reared young birds are expected from Paradise Park in Cornwall.
    • Rick J
      Hi Pertinax!

'Dusty' was hatched and raised by his parents, unsupported, on the cliff-side. To my knowledge, she/he's never been into the aviary (I may be wrong). Not sure if he's 'wild', but he's pretty close.

It's really exciting, but at the same time, losing Gianna's little foster-chick on the operating table was a crushing blow to staff here. The project has certainly had its ups and downs.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust
    Uploaded By:
    toto98
    Date:
    14 Feb 2014
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    139.1 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1060px
    Aperture:
    f/5.3
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D5100
    Date / Time:
    2013:03:29 12:56:26
    Exposure Time:
    10/6400 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 400
    Focal Length:
    240 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).