Norwegian moose

Red-breasted purple-crested turaco

Red-breasted purple-crested turaco
Norwegian moose, 5 Mar 2015
JigerofLemuria likes this.
    • lowland anoa
      Southern violet-crested turaco
    • vogelcommando
      Red-breasted Purple-crested turaco ( Tauraco porphyreolophus porphyreolophus ).
    • Norwegian moose
      Thanks for helping!
    • lowland anoa
      Actually, violet-crested turaco are the same species as red-breasted purple-crested turaco.

~Ozzy :cool:
    • Norwegian moose
      Good to know
    • lowland anoa
      And the name "Red-breasted purple-crested turaco" doesn't exist. However Violet-crested turaco is right.
    • TeaLovingDave
      Norwegian Moose: disregard the following post by lowland anoa.......

The name given by vogelcommando *is* a valid and correct one, and given the choice between believing vogelcommando (who has worked with the species in question, I believe) and lowland anoa, I'd certainly go with the former ;)

That said, Southern Violet-crested Turaco is a viable alternate name - it is merely erroneous to claim that the name given by vogelcommando does not exist.
    • threeple61
      It more often known as the red breasted subspecies of the purple-crested turaco. I would simply refer to the species as a purple crested turaco, as it gets confusing otherwise. The red-breasted subspecies is the one distributed in the southern part of the continent, with the green breasted being found in Tanzania and Kenya, going by the name Gallirex porphyreolophus chlorochlamys.

Violet and purple crested - that's totally up to you. It is irrelevant.

Both names are correct - now argue over what genus you want to place this bird in Gallirex, or Tauraco.... that's a more interesting debate.
    • TeaLovingDave
      I'm not entirely certain either way, although I *do* think that the Ruwenzori Turaco is an intriguing anomaly which needs further investigation - get to the bottom of where that belongs and the other two proposed species of "Gallirex" will follow.
    • Norwegian moose
      Okay, as red-breasted purple-crested turaco is a valid term, I will still stick to that labeling of the picture. However this is a discussion where my turaco knowledges are put to the test:) I must say that these knowledges are not my strongest side, so this is a disscusion for turaco nerds:) However thanks for the replies!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Aguilas Jungle Park
    Uploaded By:
    Norwegian moose
    Date:
    5 Mar 2015
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    182.6 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/4.1
    Make:
    RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD.
    Model:
    PENTAX XG-1
    Date / Time:
    2015:02:25 15:12:02
    Exposure Time:
    10/500 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 216
    Focal Length:
    13 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).