Join our zoo community
KevinB

Red-crowned kakariki (Cyanoramphus novaezelandiae), 2019-05-25

Red-crowned kakariki (Cyanoramphus novaezelandiae), 2019-05-25
KevinB, 27 Aug 2019
TheGerenuk likes this.
    • Terry Thomas
      Not a good name for a place that produces so many hybrids, mules and cr-- coloured birds! Photos are good!.
    • KevinB
      @Terry Thomas The name of BestZoo actually has nothing to do with the English word 'best', Best just happens to be the name of the village where this small zoo is located.

It definitely is not the best zoo in terms of exhibit quality. There are some naff and crappy exhibits, some adequate but not greats ones and also some decent ones, but not really any truly outstanding ones.

As far as the hybrids and color mutations goes, they sure do have a lot of those. I'm not sure if they actively rear them but at least with the parakeets it did seem that they do. I saw babies of these kakarikis and possibly active nesting sites in the mixed parakeet walk-through aviary.

I don't personally have a problem with the existence of domestic breeding forms as long as the welfare of the animals isn't impacted, and with these parakeets I don't think it is necessarily, but whether zoos should be displaying these and breeding these in substantial numbers is another matter and one that could be up for debate. Personally I would prefer if they displayed the wild color forms or only domestic breeding forms in smaller number and with education. One could argue that displaying a lot of domestic breeding forms is perhaps not really a part of what zoos should be about, but I do think such a display has some education potential.

Thank you for your comments on my photos.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    BestZoo
    Uploaded By:
    KevinB
    Date:
    27 Aug 2019
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    7.4 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    3595px
    Height:
    3319px
    Aperture:
    f/5.5
    Make:
    OLYMPUS CORPORATION
    Model:
    E-M10 Mark III
    Date / Time:
    2019:05:25 12:55:03
    Exposure Time:
    1/160 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 1000
    Focal Length:
    60 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).